• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Rosewood wave 2
Terry Scott

Rosewood wave 2

Two years ago I made a smaller version of this piece and entered it into the Taranakai woodcraft competition in New Plymouth NZ in the traditional woodturning section
Pieces with less than 10% of the surface being carved or embellished .I pushed the boundaries and added a frame .To my surprise Rosewood waves 1 received first place .with 20 small bowls This one is on a larger scale and has 35 bowl shapes
This competition is held every 2 years and as it was to have a set of 3 new judges I thought Id make another but way bigger .This year I received a second in traditional turning with this piece .Overall there were 150 entries into the competition .
The finish is many coats of Danish oil then buffed with a hard wax ,
Funny how fate plays its hand as I received a phone call today enquiring about purchasing this piece .I had to say it was in a competition ,I hope the person can wait for it to be returned next week .
Comments welcomed
P.s I had a good run as I also received a 2nd and third in artistic and 1st place in carving which I am stoked with as I have never entered into a carving section before ,This included all types of carving from traditional ,chip and Maori so having a piece of woodturning on the podium was great .
Thanks to mike Verner who I sat in on one of his demos a few years back for the inspiration
Are the white highlights from a flash umbrella or are they on the wood itself? Boy can the photography of intricate work be difficult to get sharp!

I like the formal nature of this presentation.

The lights I am afraid this had so many shadows and because of the finish the reflection was hard to get rid of
Thanks for commenting

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Terry Scott
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata