• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Rusted Loops
Terry Scott

Rusted Loops

Well I have been having fun
At the moment I am enjoying my new journey in woodturning
I have always wanted to do some biggish hollow forms.Success at last !!! Well this is the first large form (14 inches high 1/4 wall to allow for carving )I haven't gone out the side through the bottom or taken the roof off.
Normally I have calipers by the dozen that I am continually checking the wall thickness they all lie I am sure
But with my new Kelton lazer and hollowing rig I am finally having some success
I have always thought anyone using these captive rigs were girls but I have to admit my old body sure liked not being kicked and bucked around
This is made from oak ,carved loop patten then highlighted with a poker machine followed by stain and paint effects followed by some highlighting with the airbrush
Very nice Terry I like the shape and the texturing and the coloring beautiful.........that texturing is something that do not have the knack for.Do you do some kind of layout or just go at it free hand.....and what kind of tool are you using for this texture ( a rotary tool, a burning tool, a veining tool)???....... What ever, I really like this one.
The laser attachment is a great thing isn't it. It makes the life of a hollower much less stressful

Beautiful piece Terry! Perfect shape. You sure have an eye for texturing too. Always different and interesting.
Don L.

Hi Bob I usually mark out with the aid of the index just so I dont end up with a leaning effect as somehow I get out of whack
But the carving with a v chisel is just random

Great form, wonderful coloration and an interesting texture. Reminds me of hammered and rusted iron. Pretty cool effect and will have others wondering if it was wood!

Very nice work!

Seems I have to edit some of my description as our Kiwi slang has differnt conatations that in the north could someone please tell me how I edit .No offense meant had no idea

Terry you are an inspiration for many of us. Beautiful Piece! Excuse me while I dig out my carving tools.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Terry Scott
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device