john lucas

Sept 2017 Ornaments S-1

Getting back into the swing of things. I did a demo for the Tennessee Association of Woodturners this week on ornaments. Last time I did a demo for them they asked if I could teach texturing so I designed some ornaments that would take the texture well. This is what I came up with. I used the Sorby texturing tool, A mini sorby texturing tool, a homemade version of the Henry Taylor Elf, and a homemade version of a chatter tool. the pens I use are Tombow markers. The dyes were Caligraphy ink, the silver was a Sharpie silver marker. The walnut piece was textured using a Dremel engraver with a rounded over 1/8" piece of steel bar.

Sept 2017 Ornaments S-1
john lucas, Oct 5, 2017
    • Martin Groneng
      I've made hundreds of ornaments over the years, but never thought of texturing. These are just fantastic, John!
      Bill Boehme likes this.
    • Lamar Wright
      John, those are beautiful ornaments. Really like the colors and design. Well done!
    • Rick Taylor
      Beautiful ornaments John! Are they hollowed after texturing? Would love to see how you do them. Well done!
    • john lucas
      Rick they are sorta hollowed, with a drill bit. I turn a sort of flattened ball. Texture that side and then I drill all the way through with a 1 1/8" drill. So that's all the hollowing I do. Then I turn it around and use a homemade expansion chuck to hold the flattened ball so I can sand and texture the other side. Then I "patch" both holes with smaller textured medallions that have a 1 1/8" tenon on the back.
      Rick Taylor likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Album:
    square ornaments
    Uploaded By:
    john lucas
    Date:
    Oct 5, 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    94.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    460px
    Aperture:
    f/16.0
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D5100
    Date / Time:
    2017:10:05 17:50:52
    Exposure Time:
    1/100 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1600
    Focal Length:
    98 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).