• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Sept 2017 Ornaments S-1
john lucas

Sept 2017 Ornaments S-1

Getting back into the swing of things. I did a demo for the Tennessee Association of Woodturners this week on ornaments. Last time I did a demo for them they asked if I could teach texturing so I designed some ornaments that would take the texture well.
This is what I came up with. I used the Sorby texturing tool, A mini sorby texturing tool, a homemade version of the Henry Taylor Elf, and a homemade version of a chatter tool.
the pens I use are Tombow markers. The dyes were Caligraphy ink, the silver was a Sharpie silver marker.
The walnut piece was textured using a Dremel engraver with a rounded over 1/8" piece of steel bar.
John, those are beautiful ornaments. Really like the colors and design. Well done!

Rick they are sorta hollowed, with a drill bit. I turn a sort of flattened ball. Texture that side and then I drill all the way through with a 1 1/8" drill. So that's all the hollowing I do. Then I turn it around and use a homemade expansion chuck to hold the flattened ball so I can sand and texture the other side. Then I "patch" both holes with smaller textured medallions that have a 1 1/8" tenon on the back.

Media information

Album
square ornaments
Added by
john lucas
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device