Allen Alexopulos

Sleigh Runner I

Natural Edge Open Form in Sassafras Note: This is a new image with better resolution & lighting...19-March-2006 Base: 1 5/8" dia. Height: 4 3/4" Width at rim: 10 1/2" x 7 3/4" Finish: Waterlox

Sleigh Runner I
Allen Alexopulos, Mar 4, 2006
    • Brian Hahn
      A very striking utilization of a natural "defect" / "feature".
      Very nicely done. I like it.
    • Natastic Emerson
      Usually I hate natural edge, but I confess I love this one.
      You pulled the curve off perfectly and came out with a stunning piece.
      Also, excellent choice of angle for the photograph.

P.S.- Please tell me that there's a Sleigh Runner II?
    • georgetroy
      Very good looking wood. You captured all this piece had to give. Nice job. GT
    • Allen Alexopulos
      Thanks for the kind words!

I have several additional chunks from the same tree safely tucked away in my shed. I'm really looking forward to seeing what interesting treasures each of them will yield. The chunk that this piece was turned from was relatively easy to work it into its end form. For example, the flat area between the scrolls was just big enough to accept a drive center without digging into them. I guess I just got lucky...

-Allen
    • George Van Beynen
      Boy Allen, this is gorgeous! The finished form shows you study well before you start and have a plan. You allowed nature to do the carving while you did the
    • Angelo
      Simply, Outstanding!

A
    • Mr. Don
      0ne word is all that is needed here!!!! "INCREDIBLE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • John Abt
      As a novice, I find work of this caliber both inspiring and, at the same time, intimidating. It inspiring because it exemplifies what can be accomplished when well-developed skills are combined with an artist's eye. It is intimidating because I can only hope to develop as much ability as is shown here.

I would have liked to have seen a photo sequence of the process, especially the original piece of wood.
    • Clemens
      You obviously have quite a talent, but it is your "eye" that is so outstanding.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    Allen Alexopulos
    Date:
    Mar 4, 2006
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    75 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1113px
    Height:
    788px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).