• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
SugarMaple & Gabon Ebony Vessel
E

SugarMaple & Gabon Ebony Vessel

This piece of wood needed lots of tender loving care because it was quite punky. After ruff turning it to this shape I stabilized the wood with thin CA and completed the vessel.

The finial is made from Gabon Ebony and Sugar Maple. The vessel is 12" high x 10" wide and finished with my oil brew and buffed with tripoli and carnauba wax. All comments are welcome.
Absolutely stunning piece after your treatments including the turning. Is your oil brew similar to Danish oil?

Thank you Hal, Gary and Mark.

Hal, my oil mix is equal parts of:
Boiled linseed oil
Tung oil
Spar varnish
Mineral spirits

Absolutely stunning piece! Beautiful finial and I like how you I
incorporated the contrasting sphere of sugar maple between the Gabon ebony sections. Awesome job.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Ed Koenig
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device