Allen Alexopulos

Tasmanian Myrtle Bowl

Tasmanian Myrtle Bowl Base: 1 1/16" dia Height: 2" Diameter at rim: 6" Wall Thickness: 1/4"

Tasmanian Myrtle Bowl
Allen Alexopulos, Jul 17, 2004
    • Paul Porter
      Allen,

Is that wood also know as Red Myrtle?

Thanks,
      Paul
    • Allen Alexopulos
      Hi Paul,

It could well be. I purchased the blank from a shop in Annapolis that specializes in exotic lumber. It was clealy marked with a symbol that indicated to the owner that it was Tazmanian Myrtle. However, in scanning through a number of images in this gallery it has become very clear to me that most myrtles are not red.

I would be delighted if you could shed some light on this. If I have mis-identified the species, I would like to correct it immediately.

Thanks for the inquiry,
      -Allen

PS: Paul, I did a bit of research out on the web and found that Tasmanian Myrtle is also known as Red Myrtle, Tasmanian Beech and Australian Cherry. Its scientific name is Northofagus cunninghamii. ...FYI..
    • Paul Porter
      Hi Allen,

The reason I asked was, I bought a bowl blank form the local Rockler store. It was marked as Red Myrtle. It has great figure. I roughed it out and it's in the drying (seasoning?) stage. I'll post a photo when I finish the piece.

Take care,
      Paul
    • Allen Alexopulos
      Hello Paul,

I'm looking forward to seeing your Red Myrtle piece!
      The Tasmanian/Red Myrtle piece shown above had far more color and figure than I had expected. In fact, the day that I bought the blank, I was actually looking for some Jarrah. I came home with several pieces of each and based on this first attempt am really looking foward to turning a Red Myrtle burl that I bought that day.

Best Regards,
      -Allen
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    Allen Alexopulos
    Date:
    Jul 17, 2004
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    76.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1440px
    Height:
    1080px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).