• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
"The Illusion of Containment"
pat miller

If a sequence of five words ever locked a door, imposed limits on a life or extinguished a dream they'd have to be
"I could never do that"
William Paley (not Herbert Spencer) called it "Contempt prior to investigation." "Sour Grapes" describes the act of speaking badly of something perceived as unobtainable in an effort to save face. I have at times been guilty of all of this.
I'd like to think many of those limits are self-imposed, that in us all there is a spark or a beacon, some muse just waiting for the chance at expression. True freedom begins when I allow myself to be free. It is for the most part an inside job.
Here is my effort to express that as an artist, something that I allow myself to be......
Turned, carved and colored Birch wood, brazed and electroplated music wire, 23K gold leaf.
255mm x 153mm (10" x 6")
Thank you for looking (and listening)!
I was so happy you find your piece. It's a dense, chewy visual piece. So visually and technically challenging. What a treat.

I just saw this piece in person today at the set-up for the symposium in Albany. Looks much more impressive in person.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
pat miller
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 3 ratings

Image metadata

Device