• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
The Woodturning Spirit
Terry Scott

The Woodturning Spirit

My AAW Mag just arrived today
I normally flip through the pictures at the letter box (My drive is a km long)
Imagine the surprise when I spotted the article in the Mag The Woodturning Spirit
For those of you that dont get the mag
Terry Martin asked if Id like to make a collaborative piece for a friend of ours also called Terry
Terry Lewis and I seem to cross paths whenever I travel .Last year it was the Norway cruise this year it was the Turnfest masters.
Once I said yes a box arrived from Australia with a note your turn
Terry Martin nearly had a heart attack when I returned the piece ready for the Turnfest presentation.
I wont repeat what he said but if you can imagine this was solid without voids before I started you can guess. He did admit Id made not a bad job out of a rough piece of turning. But if he new I was going to carve the %$#T out of it he wouldnt have spent a day sanding
400mm high a few hours were required to finish it
Comments welcome
www.timberly.co.nz
Terry:
Always impressive work, but this is simply breathtaking!

Exquisite! Well done my friend!

Turning of the Week, 10/15/12
AAW Home Page Photo

Kurt what an honor thank you made my day.
Also thanks to Terry Martin who I enjoyed working on this piece with.

Please note that The works name is Terry's Piece
My comments about the work were added jokingly.
Terry M new exactly what I was going to do with this work as we discussed the outcome.
We both had allot of fun making the work collaboratively

For those who don't know what this is about, you might like to read the story by Theo Haralampou in the latest American Woodturner. Terry Lewis, who we made it for, was really surprised with the gift. It was a pleasure to make something for such a fine man. By the way, its name is "Terrys' Piece". The apostrophe is at the end because there were three Terrys who featured in this project.

It's hard to visualize what this looked like before Terry Scott got his hands on it, but what an amazing result.
I better change my name to Terry so I can get in on the next one.

Well, I'd be best placed to tell you what it looked like before Terry Scott received it. It looked pretty much like it looks now - minus the leaf texture. I turned and carved the shape as you see it, including the curved base that enables it to stand up, then Terry removed a little more wood and applied the leaf texture. The surface treatment was a great collaboration and it was a perfect gift for Terry Lewis.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Terry Scott
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device