• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
'Tis the Season.........
R

'Tis the Season.........

This is round two of birdhouse and bell ornaments.....got a request for these this morning after someone saw the ones yesterday.......

these are from the Stonewall Jackson prayer tree [white oak]as well, with the roofs being maple for contrast.
Gary, I am more of a fan of natural wood showing through most of my turnings...........I just like the natural look of wood grain and such.......that being said, I think for ornaments, they may show up better on a tree with some colored roofs.

Being as these were "historic wood" I felt the owners would want the wood to show through........this was a request by the lady who donated the tree in the first place......I know she prizes the wood for it historical significance and these are going to her grandchildren.

Roger, where did you get your birds? I have been looking for some online but I haven't been happy with what I'm finding. Nice job on the ornaments.

Richard....I bought these from Micheal's Crafts, here locally at the store.......I went to purchase some more, but they did not have any this size this time.....only a good bit larger. These are mini birds that are about 1/2" long.......have not seen them lately, but hope to find some at a later date.

Roger...I have been having the same problem. I used to get them at Craft Supply but they have quit carrying them. If I find them somewhere I'll let you know.

My local Micheals used to carry these also, but stopped for some reason.

Check these out- not as nice, but the best I have found from what's available. Price is right- $8.76

http://www.floraltrims.com/mini-mimi-mushroom-bird-assorted-colors-1-inch.html
Size 1
Includes 24 pieces
Assorted Colors
SKU D97310

Roger, try this site. I just received some cardinals and they are pretty nice. Just a hair larger than what I was using. They are one inch instead of 3/4 inch but not big enough to be a problem.
http://factorydirectcraft.com/index.php

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Roger Chandler
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata