mfoster

Trefoil

An Enneper minimal surface with 3 saddles. Masur Birch, Lacquer 7" x 5" Ebony base

Trefoil
mfoster, Mar 25, 2012
    • charlie knighton
      very nice, wood works together, concept outstanding, thanks for sharing
    • Alan Trout
      Mike this is just an incredible piece. I love it.

Alan
    • odie
      Wow......that piece is truly amazing!

ooc
    • Peter Gray
      sends my brain to the shredder Mike, unbelievable :D :D
      Pete
    • Hal Taylor
      You're messing with my mind. Absolutely fascinating and beautiful. Another how'd he do it.
    • Jack Dohallow
      Love it,

I am puzzled as to how its done.
    • mfoster
      Thanks everyone. Figuring out how to do these is the real challenge. Jack this one was turned on 7 axes, but then required quite a bit of carving to get to the final form. No way to actually produce the final form on the lathe.
    • Lionel Mercier
      Hi Michael,

I would know:

did you turn those sort of piece on several axis immediately, or did you pencil the future edge on a blank and then you turn it ?

Do you know a french man named Rmy Delaplace ? He's another zinzin of those mathematics turnings
    • mfoster
      Lionel, I started by turning the outside form, which is oval in X section and round from above. On this I laid out and drew the form/future edge. I then turned the 6 lobes on each axis, and hollowed the ends from both sides. From there it was all carving. Much harder to explain in writing than see it done.
      Hope this helps some. Mike
    • JoWinter
      Hi Michael,
      a great work !
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    mfoster
    Date:
    Mar 25, 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    79.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    1000px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).