• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Triggerfish
R

Triggerfish

[B][I]Triggerfish[/I][/B]

[B][I]Triggerfish[/I][/B] was hollowed from a piece of Canyon Oak and was designed to showcase this wonderful material. The wood grain for [B][I]Triggerfish[/I][/B] is parallel to the axis as on a spindle turning. [B][I]Triggerfish's[/I][/B] name and form were inspired by a very tasty lunch I had down on the Baja California peninsula on the sunny shore of the Sea of Cortez. I was exploring the area with a friend in a flat-fendered 1947 Willys jeep a hundred miles from town when we came across a one family settlement on the seashore at Cinco Isles. Some local fishermen were frying fresh caught Triggerfish over a small fire of desert ironwood and invited us to share their meal.

The previous night the Willys broke a tie rod on one of the roughest roads in Baja so we camped there for the night. Not a single car came by until mid-morning the next day when we were nearly finished jury-rigging the tie rod with a pair of rusty needle-nose pliers so we could continue on to the next paradise, Gonzaga Bay. I remember waking up that morning in this desert-by-the-sea watching Coyotes running away from us as they realized we were still alive and [I]not[/I] their next meal.

[B][I]Triggerfish[/I][/B]
Canyon Oak
4 1/4" high x 3 1/2" diameter x 1.55 ounces
(108mm x 88mm x 45 grams)
Triggerfish's mouth is a tiny 1/2" diam. (13mm)
October 2009

[url=http://www.californiawoodartist.com]californiawoodartist.com[/url]

Images copyright 2009 by Robert Manning
very nice

Wow, that's different. Love the shape. Something new and clean is always fun to look at. Nice job.
Don L.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Robert Manning
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata