Bill Luce

Untitled Douglas Fir Bowl (2010)

Douglas fir, pigment: Turned, sandblasted 6 x 8 1/2 inches

Untitled Douglas Fir Bowl (2010)
Bill Luce, Nov 15, 2010
    • john lucas
      Bill your use of wood is truly extraordinary.
    • joe pearson
      a real eye turner, I really would like to take this one up and feel it. Exciting and what a super job well done. I am truly fascinated by your work.
    • Don Leydens
      WOW! This is downright sexy. What a sleek and well shaped form. Gorgeous.
      Don L.
    • Dale Jablonski
      Bill are you using the pacific coast specie of DF and do you turn live or dead? The intermountain variety tends to be brittle I've found.
    • Bill Luce
      Thanks John and all for the kinds words.

Dale, I am using fir from western WA state.

It varies alot tree to tree, but I pretty much always turn it green to completion.

The old growth type close grain is the easiest, but I prefer grain that is more differentiated.
    • Robert Manning
      Bill, your photography is outstanding. Can you tell me what camera and lens you used for these shots?
    • Bill Luce
      Robert, thanks although I wish I was a better photographer - photography is a whole world of learning of it's own.

My opinion is for smaller sized images the camera and lens (if ~100mm) isn't critical although I prefer a DSLR. For publication, I feel 10-12 mpxls is a minimum to allow a little cropping and still have enough pixels for print.

Having said that, the camera I currently use is a Canon 5d2 and mostly use my Canon 70-200mm f/4 lens. Usually shot at around 100mm. On a tripod of course.

The lighting is the challenge, separating the piece from the background while showing the piece (painting with light). This is where it happens or it doesn't.

I shoot tethered to a PC so I can review my shots immediately on the computer monitor and decide what to try next in the way of lighting. The joy of digital.

I use seamless background paper on a tabletop that slopes away from the camera in the back as typical of tabletop photography. I like the contrast the darker background can give, but that's just me.
    • Lou Carbone
      I'm with everyone else that is a gorgeous bowl. Very well done.
    • KurtB
      Excellent!

Turning of the Week, 11-22-10
      AAW Home Page Photo
    • Bill Luce
      Thanks much for the honor.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    Bill Luce
    Date:
    Nov 15, 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    204 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    431px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).