Jeff Jilg

Using custom toolrest during roughout

This is a followup to the toolpost/toolrest discussion on 10/4 and photos in my section. This shows an example of how the rest is used during the roughout of a 50-60 pound piece of cedar elm. The U shaped insert could have been used instead of the single post insert shown. Actually I didn't have the U shaped insert at the time of this photo, and the U shaped insert is a lot better during roughouts.

Using custom toolrest during roughout
Jeff Jilg, Dec 5, 2004
    • Angelo
      Ahhhh!!! Thank You Jeff! I can now see that you use it to lever the tool forward into the unbalanced wood. It must save a lot of wear and tear on you!

Thanks for posting

A
    • Jeff Jilg
      Glad this was helpful. It does indeed relieve a lot of stress on the turner. I found that just some light pressure at the end of the handle is needed. Also I put a piece of foam insulation on the handle to reduce vibration. This setup basically reduces overall wear and tear on the body by a huge factor. I can do about twice as many roughouts in the same period....except for the real large roughouts.
    • pfduffy
      Jeff. Wonderful idea. Would you share the type of steel used and some dimensions? I want to get one fabricated just like yours. Thanks! Phil
    • Jeff Jilg
      I'm going to post a short update to the original text thread. That will move the thread up to to the current threads:
      http://www.woodturner.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=248
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    Jeff Jilg
    Date:
    Dec 5, 2004
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    40.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    640px
    Height:
    480px
    Aperture:
    f/2.2
    Make:
    SONY
    Model:
    CYBERSHOT
    Date / Time:
    2003:12:12 14:00:28
    Exposure Time:
    10/500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    9.3 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).