• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Walnut Bowl or Platter
Don Leydens

Walnut Bowl or Platter

This is a Walnut piece that I really loved doing. It was one of the few pieces I've done that I actually liked sanding. With every step down in grit, more and more of the grain kept popping through. I wish the camera could capture all the chatoyance (sp?). It's everywhere. I thought of some embellishments, but just couldn't do it.
I got this wood from a big gun stock maker in Washington DC while visiting there. It was an ugly slab that he couldn't use because of cracks in the wrong places. Got it cheap and it had plenty of good wood for a turner.
It's 18" wide X 2.5" tall. Finished with Tung oil and Beall buffed.
Thanks for looking and all comments welcome, Don L.
Beautiful piece, Don.

When I want to capture chatoyance in pictures (like with a special piece of Koa) I start by taking a picture where the grain pops the most. Then I take multiple pictures, turning the piece 90 each time, and put at least three of them together in a single picture. It's still not like the original piece of wood, but does provide some idea of the chatoyance.

An example: http://fgvanatta.tripod.com/ebaypix/Jan28KoaStand.jpg

Thanks for the compliment and the info, Frank. Now I just have to figure out how to put 3 photos in one post.
Thanks for the idea,
Don L.

No need for photo trickery. Looks fine as is.

Congratulations on finding the wood, and enjoying the sanding.

Great job with an absoltely beautiful piece of wood. I don't think you could have shown it better. Oh yes, Don, check your email.
Dale

Very nice piece of wood and great form and turning to boot. Good to know other wood workers, as they say "one man's junk is another's gold" and you found it.

Thank you folks!
If the other pieces from this slab are half as good, I'll be a happy man!
Don L.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Don Leydens
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata