billooms

Wassail Bowl

From Wikipedia: "Wassail bowls, generally in the shape of goblets, have been preserved. The Worshipful Company of Grocers made a very elaborate one in the seventeenth century, decorated with silver." I didn't have any silver laying around the shop, and this one is not intended for actual drinking use. The patterns on the side and on the stem were done with an ornamental lathe. A dowel of Holly was inserted into a drilled hole in the stem prior to turning, and the spiral pattern pierces through the Cocobolo into the Holly. The wood is Cocobolo and Holly, size is 5.5" tall (actual size of a brandy snifter). Comments and critique are welcome.

Wassail Bowl
billooms, Dec 20, 2010
    • Mike Gibson
      Very nice indeed, great form, great work
    • Mike Maffitt
      Beautiful pattern treatment and the holly accent looks great. Fantastic piece.
    • Jake Debski
      Topnotch piece, when I first saw it my first reaction was how did he get such consistently fine results in that pattern? The ornamental lathe answers that thought, but certainly does not detract from the quality of the turning in the least.
    • Don Leydens
      Stunning piece.
      Don L.
    • billooms
      Thank you all for the comments.
    • Lou Carbone
      Gorgeous piece.
    • Michelle Rich
      Superlative piece. Color/detail/shape/stem within the stem, all make this just top notch
    • Marc Himes
      Excellent, I really like the texture.

Marc Himes
    • KurtB
      Beautiful colors, and first class workmanship!

Turning of the Week, 12-27-10
      AAW Home Page Photo
    • EPowell
      Terrific piece. Almost perfect........I'm obsessive about details so my only thought is a 1% improvement might come from revisiting the transition at the bottom of the stem.......specifically, the square end of the white "line" seems slightly out of character with all the other details and curves. Excellent work.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    billooms
    Date:
    Dec 20, 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    108.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    1000px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).