• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Watch Over Me
J

Watch Over Me

This is a new piece that I made for the Women in Wood Exhibit at Arrowmont. The vessel is walnut about 6" tall and the curl is probably 17" or so. The sphere is around 3" diameter. I call it "Watch Over Me". I'm trying to be a little more narrative in the things I make. Trying to tell stories with them. It all started with the Sojourner pieces I've made. I've come to find that artwork that encourages me to either think up my own story, or tells me one, is work that I'm most attracted to. So make up your own story if you wish but for me this one represents the basic human need for feeling safe and comforted. A child, a parent, a spouse, a soldier, a fireman we all need that.

The vessel and ball were decorated with a wood burner. The ball sits in a small divot so it won't roll away. The curl was cut on a bandsaw and then finished up with a reciprocating spindle sander, textured and covered with black dye. The curl is made from pecan. I don't recommend this wood to anybody who is trying carve or shape it into something it's not. It is hard as a rock. So hard that the dye didn't penetrate all that far. When I started rubbing it out it rubbed through and so I just went with it.
Reactions: Ligia Rodrigues
very nice, and classy

Visual, textural, conceptual, personal, and amazing!

Turning of the Week, 03-01-10
AAW Home Page Photo

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Jennifer@Indy.USA
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings