• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Wobbler 2.0
Joe Greiner

Wobbler 2.0

Wobbler 2.0 is a successor to Wobbler 1.0, which was a study sketch in Spruce, about 4 1/2" (115mm) in diameter and unfinished.

They're both loosely derived from David Springett's "Ribbon Streptohedron" in "Woodturning Full Circle," but with a circular cross section of each torus.

I call them "wobblers," because when rolled on a table top or the floor, they traverse an S-shaped path defined by cones tangent to a large and a small arc. There are four such cones available, but only two operate in a single rolling.

Wobbler 2.0 is 11" (280mm) in diameter, limited by my lathe's 12-inch swing, with allowance for cutting the outside and support for cutting the inside. The torus body has a diameter of 1 5/8" (41mm). The small rings are about 6 1/4" (160mm) in diameter.

There are 132 segments altogether, 66 each in Spruce and Mahogany. The large ring has 60 segments of 6 degrees; the two small rings have 36 segments of 10 degrees. I chose those values to make the outside width of the segments almost equal, for ambiguity in the exact location of the transition between large and small. The junctions lie at the corners of a hexagon.

The finish is clear semi-gloss polyurethane.
Joe, you must be a 10 on the patience scale. Very interesting piece and eye catching. I shuddered when I saw you had put it on pavement for photographing.

Thank you all.

Hal, the location was good for direct sunlight, placed gently, and less boring than blank newsprint paper.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Joe Greiner
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device