-e-

Zebra Branded Bowl

The branding is done with an 18-gauge nichrome wire coiled about 4-5 times, using Graeme Priddles' branding method. Special thanks to Molly Winton & John Lucas for his instructions on developing the coil pen.

Zebra Branded Bowl
-e-, May 10, 2004
    • Jeff Jilg
      I like the contrast -e-. And I also like the patterned wood with this - looks pretty classy. Is this painted or dyed in the branding area, after the branding is done?
    • -e-
      hi jeff;
      the black color is the side-effect from the burning ... no color added. after i am satisfied with the branding, i do go over any lighter areas with a shader-tip on the woodburning pen to even out the tones.
    • Dave Peebles
      Hello -e-,

Man, I love this one. Like Jeff said, the contrast is fantastic!! Wonderful photo too. It really makes the details on the burning jump out.

Is the center section slightly proud of the burned area? And,what is the size of this one.

Dave
    • Jeff Jilg
      It's the photo of the day until ~8pm tonight (5/12 Wed)
    • -e-
      wow- thanks jeff for that honor.

dave, i don't really understand your question "slightly proud of the burned area" ... i've created a two-part rim surrounding the bowl part of the piece, which consists of a bead and a ~1/16th" rim before the start of the hollow of the bowl (trying to catch the light and add a separation between the bowl and the rim). the piece is approx 11 x 2.5 ... hope i came close to answering your question.
    • Dave Peebles
      Hello -e-,

Yes, That answers it exactly.

Thanks,
      Dave
    • Paul Porter
      -e-,

Very nice piece. I like the contrast between the texture and the smooth bowl. How did you hold the piece while texturing? I'm going to have the try texturing one of theses days.

Paul
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    -e-
    Date:
    May 10, 2004
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    345.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1014px
    Height:
    918px
    Aperture:
    f/3.6
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix1400Zoom
    Date / Time:
    2004:03:31 15:10:27
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 125
    Focal Length:
    12.4 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).