• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

private messages

Can someone refresh my mind (small as it is) about contacting someone with a private message. It used to be a "conversation" I can't find the link. Want to email Zach. Sorry to be so stupid, Gretch

Website
www.jjstephen.com
When I click on your name on the lefthand side in this thread, it opens a window that has a "start a conversation" link. There is also a "start a new conversation" link if you hover over "Inbox" in the upper righthand corner. Do either of those work for you?

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
Can someone refresh my mind (small as it is) about contacting someone with a private message. It used to be a "conversation" I can't find the link. Want to email Zach. Sorry to be so stupid, Gretch

I saw this, Gretch, and started a conversation with you. It should show in your alerts, at the top right of the page...I think.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Back when we were using vBulletin they were called private messages, but since we switched to XenForo in June 2016 the equivalent to private messages is now called a "Conversation" although most everybody still calls it a private message. Justin described one method of initiating a "Conversation" and here is another that you can use when you know the person's name, but do not see a posting where you have the luxury of just clicking on the name.

First hover over your name in the upper right of the main index page as shown below.

Conversation-1a.jpg

It will highlight yellow and then there will be a drop down menu as shown below.

Conversation-2.jpg

On the drop down menu select Conversations as shown below.

Conversation-3.jpg

This will take you to a new page that lists all of your conversations. On the upper right of the page click on START A NEW CONVERSATION

Conversation-4.jpg

This will bring up the text editor to write your message. Fill in all of the information as shown below.

Conversation-5.jpg

Thanks all, esp Bill with details even I could follow. Zach had written me and it got into my email.
Justin-clicking on my name in the left box doesn;'t do it. The upper right "inbox", and my name do it!!!.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thanks all, esp Bill with details even I could follow. Zach had written me and it got into my email.
Justin-clicking on my name in the left box doesn't do it. The upper right "inbox", and my name do it!!!.

To clarify what Justin meant is if you click on somebody else's name, not your name then it will enable you to start a conversation with that person. For example, If I used Justin's method of starting a conversation with you then I would begin by clicking on your name beneath your avatar as shown below.

Convers-Alt_1.jpg

When I click on your name, it will open a pop-up menu with links to information about you, your posts, your media, and a link to start a conversation with you as shown in the screen capture below.

Convers-Alt_2.jpg

After I click on "Start a Conversation," it will open the same text editor box as previously shown except that the recipient's name (Gretch Flo, in this example) is already filled in. Justin's method is a few less mouse clicks and would be the preferred method when the other person has posted in a thread and you want to make a private reply to her/him.

Back