• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Laser replacement

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I could not find the source I got my laser from. It's just a very small laser diode. You have to make your own switch and power supply but it is so much more solid than the cheap laser pointers. I ran the wires and switch down my support arm so it's easier to reach. I'll look some more and see if I can find the source.

They're still selling them on his web site. It looks like an ordinary laser pointer in the picture.
http://ronbrownsbest.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=10&product_id=36

Dollar Tree sells disposable lasers (battery not replaceable) for $1 each. You'll need to devise a means for latching the button. I use a spring clothespin.

https://www.dollartree.com/bulk/Laser-Pointer

There are several of them near Brandon MS

Yes Bill he and several others including Tim Yoder sell the whole unit. I do not have the measurement for the pointer but it is small.

Joe I have one of the Dollar Tree units and the laser requires that the button be pressed to stay on .

Have looked at laser diodes and may go that way. Just cannot find a pen that fits the Ron Brown holder, or I could drill in out.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Are you saying that Ron Brown doesn't support their products with replacement parts?

It would be a lot lighter and less bouncing if you replaced the pen that is currently there with just the diode and focusing lens. If you can find one with an adjustable lens that will give you the sharpest point.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Go to amazon.com. There must be a million laser pointers. Finding the sizes of the housing however might be challenging. If you get one with the on button on the side it's pretty easy to find something you can slip over the tube to turn it on. Buttons on the end are a pain to deal with. I built a rotating cam housing that fit on the top of a pointer and pushed the button down but the vibrations would make it rotate up and turn the laser off.

This is really late but the best solution I have ever seen for holding the button on a laser pen is a castration ring (or Band), Available at any farm supply store, a lifetime supply is bout $10. Just slide it over the end of the pen and over the button for on, back off the button for off. (Idea stolen from Lyle Jamison)

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the AAW forum, Marc.

Those diodes look like they might be the same that is used on Advanced Lathe Tools (Steve Sinner) boring bar system. On my laser pointer the lens barrel can be turned to adjust the dot for optimum sharpness at the focus distance. My laser operates on a pair of penlight batteries (3v) and it's possible that the 5v laser might work with a lower voltage.

Welcome to the AAW forum, Marc.

Those diodes look like they might be the same that is used on Advanced Lathe Tools (Steve Sinner) boring bar system. On my laser pointer the lens barrel can be turned to adjust the dot for optimum sharpness at the focus distance. My laser operates on a pair of penlight batteries (3v) and it's possible that the 5v laser might work with a lower voltage.

Thanks Bill-

This site has a vast variety of lasers in a sortable list. Might help you find what you need. https://www.digikey.com/

My order came in today, and it looks like it will work out fine. I'll use a cell phone charger to power the laser, and forego the batteries for now.

Back