• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Joining AAW

Hello Turners, I am joining AAW today to become a true member of this wonderful community of wood turners. I believe in supporting something that you enjoy doing as a hobby or commercial. All of you have gave me a warm welcome and I appreciate that very much. Coming from pen making to turning other things opens up a whole new interest in turning for me and I appreciate all the help from the great community of turners.

I do have a question about showing your work in the gallery. How does one go about doing this once you made pictures of your work and are ready to submit them to the gallery? Thanks again and happy and safe turning!

Good move on your part. I now wish I had joined years ago. There is a trainload of information on their member-accessed part of the website. Plus, their magazine is second to none. High quality photos, interviews with outstanding turners around the world and just plain nice! One article I found interesting highlighted the town in England where many brands of quality turning tools are made.
Going from pens to turning other items is going down a slippery slope with no hint of a brake. Welcome to the forum and AAW!

Good move on your part. I now wish I had joined years ago. There is a trainload of information on their member-accessed part of the website. Plus, their magazine is second to none. High quality photos, interviews with outstanding turners around the world and just plain nice! One article I found interesting highlighted the town in England where many brands of quality turning tools are made.
Going from pens to turning other items is going down a slippery slope with no hint of a brake. Welcome to the forum and AAW!
Hi John, thanks so much! You are correct, making bowls, plates and platters is in a different league from turning pens. I was in production work for 4 years , however I did learn a lot about stabilizing wood and all kinds of resin, pressure pots ect. I hope to incorporate that with new things that I learn to turn. I did a lot of inlay work with pens also. A new adventure for me and hope to learn a lot along the way.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Welcome Lamar. I hope someone with more knowledge about using the gallery will answer you. I struggle each time I try to post something. I'm with Al. The AAW changed my life. It's even more valuable when you jump in and contribute and help out. I ran videos every time I went to an AAW symposium. That helped meet a lot of good people. I've helped in started 2 local clubs and we have all had a ball working and meeting each other. Probably one of the best things about joining the AAW is access to all of the past journals. What a wealth of information. I don't think people use that as much. It's just a gas to spend an evening looking through 3 or 4 old journals. It's amazing what you'll learn.

Welcome Lamar. I hope someone with more knowledge about using the gallery will answer you. I struggle each time I try to post something. I'm with Al. The AAW changed my life. It's even more valuable when you jump in and contribute and help out. I ran videos every time I went to an AAW symposium. That helped meet a lot of good people. I've helped in started 2 local clubs and we have all had a ball working and meeting each other. Probably one of the best things about joining the AAW is access to all of the past journals. What a wealth of information. I don't think people use that as much. It's just a gas to spend an evening looking through 3 or 4 old journals. It's amazing what you'll learn.
Hi John, thanks . Just finished joining the AAW and like you said, there are learning video's to watch and loads of back journals to get. Very happy I joined and support the hobby. Happy turning!

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Lamar......I've downloaded quite a few photos to the gallery. I'm technically challenged, but it's pretty easy. When you click on download a file, the forum software automatically searches your computer files for your photographs. After you have your photo loaded, there's nothing but add some text.....simple, really!

-----odie-----

Lamar......I've downloaded quite a few photos to the gallery. I'm technically challenged, but it's pretty easy. When you click on download a file, the forum software automatically searches your computer files for your photographs. After you have your photo loaded, there's nothing but add some text.....simple, really!

-----odie-----
Thanks Odie, when I get to the point that I think I have made something worthy to show in the gallery I'll know now how to display it. Thanks again and happy turning.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I do have a question about showing your work in the gallery. How does one go about doing this once you made pictures of your work and are ready to submit them to the gallery? Thanks again and happy and safe turning!

I have a post somewhere if I can figure out where it is that explains how to do it. It's fairly easy once you know where to start. I'll try to find that thread.

(Just to allay any concerns about cyber security, the forum software can't search for files on your computer)

I have a post somewhere if I can figure out where it is that explains how to do it. It's fairly easy once you know where to start. I'll try to find that thread.

(Just to allay any concerns about cyber security, the forum software can't search for files on your computer)
Thanks so much Bill, that would be appreciated, by the way, wife and I are cat people also.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Bill There is a large cat just up the road from me who visits me every time I take a walk. He and my dog are best friends.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Large Florida Bobcats
Length 50"
Height 21"
Weight 35lbs

Bobbie looks a bit lighter

Daisy, our Maine Coon is twenty something pounds (males get in excess of 30 pounds and four feet in length). Daisy is a bit over 36" in length. She is larger than average for a female Maine Coon cat. It's an understatement to say that Maine Coons are different from other cats. :D

Texas bobcats aren't as large as the Florida cats.

Is that an infrared camera?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
.... I do have a question about showing your work in the gallery. How does one go about doing this once you made pictures of your work and are ready to submit them to the gallery? Thanks again and happy and safe turning!

The tutorial that I found was for the old vBulletin forum software. I decided that maybe it's time to update things a bit so I created a new tutorial on uploading images to the gallery. Here is a link to the tutorial.

The tutorial that I found was for the old vBulletin forum software. I decided that maybe it's time to update things a bit so I created a new tutorial on uploading images to the gallery. Here is a link to the tutorial.
Good Morning Bill, thank you so much for these instructions of how to submit work on the gallery. When I get good enough with my work and I think it is gallery worthy I'll know how to submit it now. Have a great day and happy turning.

Back