• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

I got one for ya

what is candlewood?

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Might be wax Myrtle also called southern Bayberry.

Used a lot in candles. I like turning it but it rarely gets big. 8 - 10” diameter is common size here.
Nice for Smaller NE bowls, goblets etc.

One cool thing we get is an annual arrival of a flock of 2-3000 tree swallows feasting on the Berrys. They fly into a tree and it shakes. they eat everything in a day and are gone until next year.
When the drink from our pond they line up single file and fly low to water with their lower beak in the water.
A spectacular site.

Last edited:
sorry Al....not what I'm thinking about.....
found it in "A Reverence for Wood" by
Eric Sloane.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
yes....but was info I recently learned from the author.....another hint.....
new England term ......

Grows in South Africa, in old Dutch (Afrikaans) it is called Rooi Kersie hout, which I would translate into Red Cherries bush,
It is very heavy wood, will still sink in water when dry.
Can grow into a small tree in very favourable condition, otherwise more a shrub, and therefore used as a hedge sometimes.
Latin name Pterocelastrus_tricuspidatus here is a link to some more info.

http://knysnawoodworkers.co.za/arti...rees/candlewood-pterocelastrus-tricuspidatus/

pterocelastri.jpg

good try Leo, and I believe the use of candlewood but not the one Sloane was referring to......also not New England term

20171216_150915.jpg 20171216_150915.jpg yes.....u are correct....William

I believe we have 2 winners.....Leo u have always been a disrupter......always good to have more than one opinion

Back