• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Video: Personal Protection Equipment for Woodturners

Excellent. I have some thoughts, though. Earrings? Who would get their head close to a lathe to get them caught? If wearing a full face shield, there wouldn't be any possibility of catching them.
I don't answer my cell phone while working with any powered tools because I can't hear it or feel the vibration. I can call back when my task is done.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Excellent. I have some thoughts, though. Earrings? Who would get their head close to a lathe to get them caught? If wearing a full face shield, there wouldn't be any possibility of catching them.
I don't answer my cell phone while working with any powered tools because I can't hear it or feel the vibration. I can call back when my task is done.

Nose ring if you're a married guy. :eek: :D

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
The goal of this video was to get people to revisit their thinking about personal protection equipment for woodturning. We hope it stimulates discussion, perhaps helping some people to acquire gear, or more importantly to USE the equipment they already have... if so, then we will be happy.

Alan,my grandson is big on safety. When he turns, he has a mental checklist that he goes through. He has made me aware of the safety factor. I keep my face shield, N95 dust mask, and ear plugs together in a large tote bag. That way, I can make sure that I use all three. Again, excellent video.
Bill, that is a ball and chain.:(

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
We've been getting a few comments about the video, with some suggestions and corrections:
  • The code prefix for particle filtration should be P, not F (e.g., P95 is 95% particle filtration).
  • The most current rating for face shields is ANSI Z87.1
  • It's worth pointing out that respirator filters need to be maintained... either cleaned or replaced as needed to assure their efficiency.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
We've been getting a few comments about the video, with some suggestions and corrections:
  • The code prefix for particle filtration should be P, not F (e.g., P95 is 95% particle filtration).
  • It's worth pointing out that respirator filters need to be maintained... either cleaned or replaced as needed to assure their efficiency.

The code prefix P doesn't stand for particle or particulate. There are four categories of particulate filters: N, R, P, and HE defined as follows:

• N = Not to be used with oil.
  • R means "resistant to oils." Can be used for eight hours with chemicals and pesticides that contain oil.
  • P means "oil proof." Can be used with oil and non-oil hazards; may be able to use longer than eight hours.
  • HE =High Efficiency, the filter used on a PAPR (Can be used with oils.) Check with manufacturer's instructions for time restrictions; or change when you notice a decrease in airflow.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Well, yes, I learned the hard way that you have to buy Airstream filters, you cant clean them. I just replaced the original one... I do clean the prefilter often... They are not cheap, but like Bill Boheme told me, why buy an Airstream and maintain it.... Absolutely right...

Back