• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

beaded

1. English walnut bowl with flared rim and decorative bead

English walnut bowl with flared rim and decorative bead

Turned from dry stock that I acquired from a former gunstock maker in California
  2. Navajo Rain Cross

Navajo Rain Cross

Navajo ceremonial basket design. The symbol is also used to represent Spider Woman, the first Navajo deity. The basket is twelve inches in diameter and the wood is maple. Pyrography and ink were used to create the basket illusion. Donated to SWAT 2019 symposium and selected as an auction item.
  3. Walking Sun

Walking Sun

Navajo legend says that a deity carries the sun across the sky on his back and then hangs it on a peg to cool off. After it is no longer glowing he carries it back east during the night. I apologize for the bad iPad picture. Hopefully, I will have a chance to get a better picture before it is...
  4. Navajo Wedding Basket

Navajo Wedding Basket

Navajo Wedding Basket illusion is 12⅝ inch diameter maple. The wedding basket is probably the most well known of all the various Native American basket designs. This piece will be part of the SWAT 2-for-1 drawing coming up next month.
  5. Celebration Basket

Celebration Basket

Navajo Wedding Basket Illusion, 14½ inches diameter, 2¾ inches high, maple, beaded, burned, and colored in the style of the traditional wedding/celebration baskets. The wood is thin enough that bright light can shine through between the rows of beads. This piece was donated to the Woodturners of...
  6. Shedua box...full bodied...

Shedua box...full bodied...

Here is a shedua box in a slightly fuller form than I normally turn at 3" tall and 3 3/4" in diameter.
  7. Beaded Vessel,

Beaded Vessel,

Maple and Ebony, about 7 inches dia.
  8. Beaded Platter Back

Beaded Platter Back

Ancient Kauri ,beaded ,textured then gold ,copper ,and silver leaf applied piece by piece ,Allot of work but I feel it is worth the effort .This kauri was carbon dated 750 plus or minus 50 years by Waikato university timberly@xtra.co.nz Comments welcome
  9. Beaded Platter

Beaded Platter

550mm ancient kauri ,beaded ,textured ,then gold copper and silver leaf applied piece by piece to give pattern
  10. Beaded vase

Beaded vase

Turned from blue gum burl ,300mm high .beads were placed on the outside with a skew .I think the beads add to the piece as it draws the eye to the grain .The inside had a light stain added to give a contrast ,danish oil finish.The 3 feet are texturd and stained timber@xtra.co.nz like to hear...
  11. Shedua beaded box....

Shedua beaded box....

Here is another in the series of beaded boxes I am currently working on. This one is in shedua and is 2 1/4" tall and 3 1/2" in diameter.
  12. Beaded Cherry Bowl

Beaded Cherry Bowl

This was just for fun. Always wanted to try one of these. 5-1/4" x 3". Finished with Seal-A-Cell (that was fun), and buffed.
Back