• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

bowl

1. Mesquite salad bowl

Mesquite salad bowl

Inside of previous bowl.
  2. Mesquite salad bowl

Mesquite salad bowl

Almost 11" diameter. Some small cracks and one worm hole filled with epoxy. Tried and Tried Danish Oil finish. Comments and critiques welcome.
  3. Unnamed Collaborative Bowl (inside)

Unnamed Collaborative Bowl (inside)

This piece was made during the Dave Hardy's Tuesday Night Meeting collaborative project. Its a collaboration between Joe Seltzer, Dan Zobel and I. Turned, Burned and Guilded (Hey, now there's a name!)
  4. Multi-axis figured walnut bowl with rose engine accents

Multi-axis figured walnut bowl with rose engine accents

I turned this bowl using the long-tenon method, kicking it off-axis to turn the inside portion of the bowl. I then turned two additional facets on the outside to catch the light at different angles. The rose engine accents were turned on my MDF Rose Engine 2.0 while the bowl was off-axis. The...
  5. Multi-axis figured walnut bowl with rose engine accents

Multi-axis figured walnut bowl with rose engine accents

I turned this bowl using the long-tenon method, kicking it off-axis to turn the inside portion of the bowl. I then turned two additional facets on the outside to catch the light at different angles. The rose engine accents were turned on my MDF Rose Engine 2.0 while the bowl was off-axis. The...
  6. Small mulberry bowl

Small mulberry bowl

This wasn't my first bowl, but it was my first time using a bowl gouge (I used carbide scrapers before). Finished and photographed almost a year ago. Some feather figure and nice chatoyance.
  7. Basket Weave Ash bowl.

Basket Weave Ash bowl.

Basket Weave Bowl from ash. Bottom carved, top laser engraved. Dyed with alcohol and water-based dyes. Finished with clear gloss enamel. 14 1/4" diameter, 4 1/2" tall.
  8. Clinker-built Bowl

Clinker-built Bowl

A maple bowl (~10" x 3 3/4") with flats on the outside reminiscent of a clinker-built boat, smooth on the inside. Turned as a gift for sailing friends.
  9. Spalted Hackberry Bowl.

Spalted Hackberry Bowl.

Spalted Hackberry Bowl.
  10. Spalted Hackberry Bowl.

Spalted Hackberry Bowl.

Spalted Hackberry Bowl.
  11. Celtic Bowl

Celtic Bowl

Celtic bowl from elm. Colored with alcohol-based dyes and silver acrylic paint over black India ink. Laser engraved and finished with clear gloss enamel. 9 1/2" diameter 4 1/4" tall.
  12. Textured and Engraved Bowl

Textured and Engraved Bowl

Textured and engraved white ash bowl. Colored with metallic and iridescent acrylic paint over black India ink. Finished with clear, gloss enamel.
  13. Into the Unknown

Into the Unknown

This unique style bowl was one that caught my eye when I saw it. I decided to try and create the form, not knowing what I was getting into. Needless to say it turned out very nicely! I named the title after, one--getting into the unknown about turning it and two--because it reminds me of a black...
  14. Cherry Salad bowl

Cherry Salad bowl

11 inch cherry bowl with cherry utensils
  15. Elegant Ogee Bowl II

Elegant Ogee Bowl II

Time for a break from boxes and go to something different.....this ogee bowl is a companion to my Maple Burl ogee bowl I made earlier this year. Decided a darker wood would make a nice two piece set. Wood is Spalted Honduras Rosewood and it is turned to a thin wall with a foot. Finished with wax...
  16. Manzanita Fountain

Manzanita Fountain

Manzanita Fountain came from some of the manzanita root burls salvaged from the wildfires around Los Angeles c. 2011. After plenty of postage to UPS and chain saw chains dulled by the dirt and rocks, I was able to get som nice pieces. This one turned out well enough to earn a 1st place in 3D...
  17. Spalted elm moon bowl.

Spalted elm moon bowl.

Outside of Spalted elm bowl with carved craters accented by pyrography. Gloss enamel finish. 8 1/2" diameter , 2 1/2" tall
  18. Spalted elm moon bowl.

Spalted elm moon bowl.

Inside of Spalted elm bowl with carved craters accented by pyrography. Gloss enamel finish. 8 1/2" diameter , 2 1/2" tall
  19. Figured Bowl

Figured Bowl

This piece of figured Mongolia is from a crotch it is about 8 inches long and 3 inches tall. Comments and critiques welcome.
  20. Mongolia Bowl

Mongolia Bowl

This a bowl made out of Mongolia with an ogee curve and a small foot. The dimensions of this piece are about 18 inches wide by 8 inches tall. This bowl was also turned wet and warped a bit. Coments and critiques welcome.
Back