• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

branded

1. Éclair Noir

Éclair Noir

Last year I was playing with this motif on a few pieces, but was never happy with results. The branded pattern was very regular and any imperfections stood out like a sore thumb. This one was began then as well, but then set aside because I was disappointed once again. Finally, I decided to just...
  2. In The Steppes Of Central Asia

In The Steppes Of Central Asia

Some time ago I ran across a photo on the web of a beautiful lidded box with an oriental theme. I really liked the form and lid design. After a great deal of research I discovered that Matthew Hill had turned the piece in the photo. The piece really intrigued me to the point I decided to do...
  3. Poplar Study 3

Poplar Study 3

This vessel was turned twice, carved, branded and buffed with wax. The size is 5" dia x 6" tall.
  4. Branded Maple Bowl

Branded Maple Bowl

Maple Bowl, 8" X 4" with red Aniline dye exterior and branded pattern inside and outside of rim.
  5. AAW Forum contest entry

AAW Forum contest entry

Shot of the 'Wings'
  6. AAW Forum contest entry

AAW Forum contest entry

A "winged" bowl turned from pear. The branding is pine needles. I've being working out a masking technique for branding and painting... still working on it.
  7. Oak Box

Oak Box

This valley oak box is a gift - it's branded with a coil tip, silver-leafed. the colors are generated by a patinizing chemical.
  8. Alchemy

Alchemy

Step-3: Patination A colorful patina was developed on the silver. This photo doesn't represent the color well--the yellows are golds, the greys are silver, the browns are hues of purple. this is one piece that needs good lighting! All comments welcomed -- this is not what i invisioned, and...
  9. Branded Cedar-Step 2

Branded Cedar-Step 2

The outside has been silver-leafed. Ugly! But wait-if the weather would only cooperate, on to step-3! (wonder what the turning-gods have instore for this one?)
  10. Experiment

Experiment

The outside of this mediocre, small elm bowl was coil-branded, silver leafed, and patinated. The patina colors are silver, gold, bronze, blue & purple. The branding gives a nice texture, and the patina adds another level of interest. It was a fun experiment. Of course, the picture...
  11. Zebra Branded Bowl

Zebra Branded Bowl

The branding is done with an 18-gauge nichrome wire coiled about 4-5 times, using Graeme Priddles' branding method. Special thanks to Molly Winton & John Lucas for his instructions on developing the coil pen.
Back