• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

chestnut

1. Portland Heritage Tree No. 182

Portland Heritage Tree No. 182

This tree, which was identified as an American Chestnut tree by the city of Portland came down in a storm last month. The fact that it was an American Chestnut has been disputed and it has been accepted that it was in fact a Spanish/American hybrid. This is my first time working with chestnut...
  2. Jamie Straw

Finishing chestnut bowl

I'm about to turn a chestnut bowl, cut edge, wood is well seasoned and has some mineral stains (from long-gone nails apparently). It will be about 9"wide and a little less than 3" tall. Would appreciate suggestions on finishing, as I've never worked with chestnut.
  3. At the mercy of chance

At the mercy of chance

This is a chestnut bowl. It is about 15cm across and has a wall thickness of about 1-2mm. It weighs virtually nothing. I have called it At the Mercy of Chance because of its thickness, during the final few passes chance was a very important factor. I love turning thin work. The grain was...
  4. Spring 2008 contest

Spring 2008 contest

After making several black and blue planets, this is my first red one. 4" diameter, chestnut burl, hollowed (then plugged with a piece of the same burl so the opening is hidden), sandblasted, dyed and limed.
  5. Wormy Chestnut Oak Vessel

Wormy Chestnut Oak Vessel

A simple vessel in Wormy Chestnut Oak. This piece shows the intricate medullary ray patterns typical of the oak family. Base Diameter: 1 5/8" Height: 3" Max Diameter: 6" Diameter at Rim: 5 1/8" Wall Thickness: 1/8" (at rim) Finish: oil & wax
  6. Chestnut Bowl

Chestnut Bowl

Just another view
  7. Chestnut Bowl

Chestnut Bowl

This is the first bowl I'm proud enough of to show off. It was greener than I thought and developed a major crack as it dried. I think the ties take the bowl from good to much better.
  8. Chestnut Hollow Form

Chestnut Hollow Form

Chestnut Hollow Form Base: 2" Height: 4 1/4" Width at opening: 1 3/16" Note: New Image uploaded 11/12/06
Back