• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

crotch

1. Cherry Crotch with some burl top view

Cherry Crotch with some burl top view

hollow form made from Cherry. Rough parts include cherry amber left in the piece and polished.
  2. Cherry Crotch with some burl

Cherry Crotch with some burl

hollow form made from Cherry. Rough parts include cherry amber left in the piece and polished.
  3. Pecan crotch bowl

Pecan crotch bowl

7 1/2 x 3 1/4 twice turned bowl from urban harvested timber.
  4. Walnut Crotch Platter

Walnut Crotch Platter

This was a backyard tree. It seems that urban walnuts typically have a wider colour variation than forest walnuts, at least in southern Ontario. Cut in July 2021, turned green the same month, re-turned February 2022. Five coats of wipe-on poly followed by Beall buff. 18.5 inches in diameter, 2...
  5. Butternut Bowl 8.5 inch by 4 inch tall

Butternut Bowl 8.5 inch by 4 inch tall

Not sure if this is "crotch" or not. It's my last piece of this wood. It was not identified when I got it. My best guess is Butternut??? Finished with Tried and True Danish Oil and Beall Buffing.
  6. George Pagliarulo

Turning Birch crotch wood advice needed

Hi, A very dear friend of my wife died recently. This friend loved Birch trees. I want to turn memorial Birch bowls for my wife, two other close friends and the woman’s son. The photo shows three pieces that I want to use. Three of them are pretty straight forward to trim and get ready for...
  7. Black walnut

Black walnut

Highly figured platter made from a crotch piece of black walnut
  8. Maple Platter

Maple Platter

I roughed this 12 (x1.25) inch Maple Platter in 12/06. I finally turned it to final thickness and finished in last October for my wife. The tree was given to me by a co-worker and friend. The other side of this crotch was donated to the Christmas Party Door Prize collection at work. This is the...
  9. Apple Crotch Bowl (profile)

Apple Crotch Bowl (profile)

This was the last of my old apple trees which was uprooted in a storm last spring. This was some of the only sound wood left in the tree. Made from a small crotch section. The size is 11" x 13.5" x 5" tall. The finish is my oil mix and buffed with tripoli and carnauba wax.
  10. Apple Crotch Bowl (top view)

Apple Crotch Bowl (top view)

This was the last of my old apple trees which was uprooted in a storm last spring. This was some of the only sound wood left in the tree. Made from a small crotch section. The size is 11" x 13.5" x 5" tall. The finish is my oil mix and buffed with tripoli and carnauba wax.
  11. Walnut Platter Top

Walnut Platter Top

Top view of same platter Black Walnut Crotch Approx 9 x 2 Gel Poly finish This shape was adapted from Mark Baker's book; "Woodturning Projects: A Workshop Guide to Shapes". It was challenging to make the bottom until I finished that Longworth chuck I'd been working on.
  12. Winged Bowl

Winged Bowl

A winged bowl turned from a Norway maple crotch section. I picked up the techniques to turn this type of piece during a Bill Grumbine class that I attended in May. Bowl Width at rim: 5 1/2" Bowl Height: 2 5/8" Bowl Base: 1 15/16" diameter Crotch Wing Dimensions: 8 5/8&quot...
  13. Mushroom Solid Form

Mushroom Solid Form

11 3/4 in. tall, 5 1/2 in. wide, spalted willow oak crotch wood, solid form. Source: fire wood pile. Beautiful hunk of wood!
  14. Spalted Maple Crotch Wood Bowel

Spalted Maple Crotch Wood Bowel

From same stump in front yard. 3 in. tall, 6 1/2 in wide, 3/16 wall, bottom 1/4 in. Vinyl sealer, 400 free-cut, past wax.
  15. Spalted Maple Crotch Wood Vessel

Spalted Maple Crotch Wood Vessel

From stump in front yard. Yellow bellied sap suckers killed the tree about 6 years ago. Beautiful spalting! 5 1/4 in. tall, 4 1/4 in. wide, 1/8 in. thick, very light. Finished with water-born acrylic, waxed.
Back