• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

drying

1. MarkAndrews

Bowl cracked on lathe overnight

I've been trying to use free wood for my projects so that I can learn how to prepare blanks, dry the roughed bowls properly etc. I had a bunch of ornamental pear logs (it's quite popular in Southern Calif for lining the streets) The bowl pictured was turned from an approximately 3" thick slab...
  2. John Torchick

Slow drying

I just read a thread about cracks in a bowl after turning. The reply was to wet the wood and place in a paper bag. Paper bags are a rarity around here. Could the wood be wrapped in newspaper and get the same result?
  3. T

Roughed Out Bowls - Paper Bag Drying Method Only or Boiling

Has anyone had success with boiling roughed out bowls and then drying? If so, what were the steps involved?
  4. 4

How to dry bark for carving?

I've been turning some half rounds of Cedar that were cut 2 years ago - amazingly there are very few splits in the 16" high by 17" wide blocks. While doing this, I discovered I could peel the bark off intact from the wood, and got to wondering if I can dry the sheets and do some carving or...
  5. L

Drying to what moisture percent

I'm working on a small -- 6" diameter -- cherry bowl. Moisture meter says this blank, rescued from a hunk of firewood, is 22%. I'm about done roughing it and will coat it with anchorseal. At what moisture percentage can I finish the turning? About how long should I expect it to take to get...
  6. John Torchick

DIY Kiln from old refrigerator

I have looked at eHow and got some info on this DIY project. I wanted to check with the experts as I'm sure that some of you have followed this path for a kiln. Been saving an old referigerator for this- runs but doesn't cool. I'm thinking all the freon is gone. Not worth fixing. Looking...
  7. B

air drying nested bowls

Cored out a few nest bowl sets. planning on doing some more. Can I air dry these stickered and stacked as a set with ~5/8 gap. Or am I better off separating and laying each bowl out on a shelf (unstacked). Not concerned with time to dry just with crack prevention. Obviously stacked helps...
  8. Cliff De Witt

Drying Green Bowls.

I know that this cannot be a new idea however. Saturday I got to spend the day in the shop turning green bowls to rough shape for drying. I got about 6 done but have a whole wheelbarrow of fresh wood to shape, so I decided to wait until I had a full bag in order to pack them up. Well as...
  9. C

How to Dry a Maple Burl??

I will shortly be gifted with a very nice maple burl from a limb that the owner wants to remove. How should I best treat it for drying to avoid cracking, checking, and otherwise making it less than useful? The limb above and below the burl is about 8" to 9" in diameter and I expect to see...
Back