• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

dye

1. Out of the Mire

Out of the Mire

20" x 2.5" River Birch, dye, mica powder, interference acrylics, pierced, embedded LED lamp
  2. 1886 motorwagon

1886 motorwagon

Carl Benz is widely regarded as the world's first practical modern automobile and was the first car put into series production. The gas vehicle was patented and unveiled in 1886. My turning/carving is 11” x 8” x 9” of maple, walnut and water based dye. For turners I should tell you that there...
  3. Teapot - first...and maybe last

Teapot - first...and maybe last

Masur Birch 4.25" dia spherical body. Mopane/Mopani base and lid. Blackwood lid handle (central peak is a shadow), Yellowheart handle and spout from Neil Scobie eccentric doughnut turning. Bad photography.
  4. Pine Cones

Pine Cones

Decided to make another pierced platter. I forgot how difficult it was to pierce 1/8” thickness. Normally I would pierce 1/16”+, but in order to safely handle I do 1/8”. Cherry wood 14” diameter. C&C
  5. Allen Mattsen

Dyes - Water Based or Solvent Based?

I've been wanting to add color to some of my projects and the world of dyes is new to me. I'm looking at Hampshire Sheen Intrinsic colors and Keda dyes. I'd like to know the considerations between solvent based and water based dyes and why you would choose one over the other? Keda dyes offer...
  6. Butternut bowl with dye and wax

Butternut bowl with dye and wax

12 inch wide butternut (I'm pretty sure it's butternut, but I could be wrong) with embellishment with dye and gilding wax. Finished in Danish oil and carnauba wax.
  7. Sunset Orange

Sunset Orange

Sycamore hollow form 10 inch diameter. Collar in brown ebony with finial in Gabon ebony. Dyed with Chestnut Stains.
  8. J

Dye Penetration

How do you prevent wood dye spoiling the inside surface of a bowl? I have been asked to make a series of salad bowls from cherry or BLM. The customer wants me to color the outside royal blue. This requires a liberal application of dye to get the required color density. I am using Chestnut...
  9. J

Black Trans Tint dye for ebonizing maple or popular?

I would like to make some miniature bat house ornaments (birdhouse ornaments with orange walls and black roof) but I can't afford ebony for the roof. How well does black Trans Tint dye work for ebonizing the maple or popular roof? What application method works best?
  10. Rings Around Neptune

Rings Around Neptune

Maple sphere and off axis platter. Figured maple colored with TransTint dyes. Lacquer finish.
  11. J

Dyed big leaf Maple sunset Bowl

First post in the forums, hopefully I've followed the forum rules. I see the photo gallery is under construction, but thought I'd post my first attempt at using wood dye. `I've been turning about 3 years and I have trouble drawing stick figures so letting the wood do the drawing is a big...
  12. Sun Vessel

Sun Vessel

8''x7'' Boxelder with dye and lacquer.
  13. Mirage

Mirage

This hollow form vase is turned from end grain, fiddle back, ambrosia maple. It measures 4.5 inches by 8.5 inches. It is finished with aniline dyes and spray lacquer. All comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.
  14. Mirage

Mirage

This hollow form vase is turned from end grain, fiddle back, ambrosia maple. It measures 4.5 inches by 8.5 inches. It is finished with aniline dyes and spray lacquer. All comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.
  15. Moses

Moses

This hollow form reminds me of what might have been if a vase was made from the wood Moses brought down from the mountain top. I had a difficult time capturing the subtleties of the different colors in the flamed wood grain. It measures 4.5 inches by 7 inches and is turned from end grain maple...
  16. Antigua

Antigua

My wife absolutely fell in love with this piece. When I told her I named it Antigua, she informed me I had better not sell this one. I am pleased with the coloration; it brings back fond memories of the Caribbean waters of Antigua where we honeymooned. The hollow form vase is turned from end...
  17. Christmas Ornaments

Christmas Ornaments

Flower Christmas Ornaments tiger maple disk, birdseye maple flowers, blackwood center. Airbrushed dyes and lacquer finish. Modified swivel for fishing line/hook for hanging. About 2"
  18. Precarious Balance

Precarious Balance

Earlier in the summer I was asked to create an award for the city of Carmel, Indiana for an award that they are presenting in a couple of weeks. The award will be given to a local business that is showing strides in being a "green" company. I'm not sure what their criteria were for the...
  19. First Born

First Born

This is from my Spring Dance series, call this one Parents First Born; hope you can see why. Petals of maple burl and birds-eye maple, stems and leaves are mahogany, mesquite base About 12" tall Comments +/- are welcomed :)
  20. Miniature Ash 5321

Miniature Ash 5321

This ash piece is a bit of a departure for me, in that it's only about 2 inches tall. Was initially thinking of using it as a knob for a lid on a much larger container, but I decided otherwise. It lay around for awhile and I decided to hollow, sandblast, dye and wax it.
Back