• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

edge

1. Clover

Clover

Cherry Burl 18" natural edge bowl turned by Bill Collison
  2. Cherry & Lace

Cherry & Lace

Pierced Cherry Natural Edge Bowl.
  3. 'Lava Flow'

'Lava Flow'

Unknown Australian Burl, winged natural edge burl. 18" tip to tip
  4. The Black Pearl

The Black Pearl

Black Myrtle Burl natural edge piece without a foot. turned 3/32' thick, size is 5.5" x 8.5". filled voids and cracks with powdered brass, inserted 3 pearls, 2 white and 1 black. Mounted in scrap piece of Cherry Burl.
  5. NE Cherry w Wenge base

NE Cherry w Wenge base

Natural Edge Cherry with Wenge Base.
  6. NE Cherry with Void

NE Cherry with Void

Natural Edge Cherry. Void from rotten pith. Base is Wenge.
  7. Wings of Chance

Wings of Chance

This piece is a natural edge vase turned end grain from a Pecan crotch having a slight twist in the branches. The wood was dry from curing in the shop for about 2 years. The bark remained in good condition but was stabilized. The vase was sanded to grade 400, with melamine sealer applied at...
  8. Corrugata Natural Edge Bowl

Corrugata Natural Edge Bowl

This Corrugata bowl measures 11"x12"x3". Originally, I had planned to turn it with a natural bottom. The wood just looked too good, so I decided to turn the bottom, also, with some good advice from Jim Syvertson along the way. The bowl is finished with 4 coats of antique oil, then...
  9. Sunrise Over Yew

Sunrise Over Yew

Yew (Domestic - very local; from neighbor's yard), vintage German glass button Dimensions: 5.375"w x 4.75"h 1/16" wall thickness Natural edge thin-walled vessel with pierced sapwood border. Hand sanded, airbrushed, about 10 coats of lacquer. Vintage German glass button...
  10. Mulberry Lace

Mulberry Lace

Started as a demo for my woodworkers club round robin night. Piece is 4.5"h, 4.5"w. Wall thickness is 1/16" or less. Natural edge. Pierced sapwood border. This shot shows the great grain in the bottom and how translucent the piece is. I love working with mulberry. Higher...
  11. Mulberry Lace

Mulberry Lace

Started as a demo for my woodworkers club round robin night. Piece is 4.5"h, 4.5"w. Wall thickness is 1/16" or less. Natural edge. Pierced sapwood border. Higher quality/more photos are available on my website in the gallery.
  12. "In Transition"

"In Transition"

Natural edge walnut calabash on a walnut stand. In Transition measures 10" wide on the long axis, 8" on the short axis and stands 6" high. The average wall thickness is 3/16" and weighs 9 oz. This piece is currently on display display at the MFA Gallery in Annapolis, MD...
  13. Neolithic Cup and Saucer

Neolithic Cup and Saucer

A natural edge vessel-in-vessel turned from a piece of Big Leaf Maple burl. Two bands were turned and pyrographed using a micro torch and pyrography pen. Base: 2 3/4" dia. Overall Height:2 3/4" Maximum Diameter: 13 1/4" Finish: Waterlox & Carnuba Wax
  14. Spalted Maple Burl Natural Edge bowl

Spalted Maple Burl Natural Edge bowl

See my site for more/better photos and info. I call this "Neighbors" because my stupid neighbor decided that every tree on his property had to go. I heard the chainsaws and paid off the landscapers to bring me the trunk with the burl and the main crotch. The burl is easily...
  15. Mulberry pieces

Mulberry pieces

Get more photos & details on my site. From a mulberry branch. The vase is an end grain, natural edge design and the bowl was the left over wood still on the chuck when I parted off the vase. Too pretty to waste. Turned wet down to about 1/16" and allowed to warp. Vase is 4...
  16. White Oak Natural Edge Hollow Form

White Oak Natural Edge Hollow Form

A gourd-shaped hollow form fashioned out of a piece of white oak crotch wood. Base: 2" dia. Height: 8" Maximum Diameter: 7 1/4" Max Diameter at rim: 3 3/8" Wall Thickness: 1/4" (typ) Finish: Tung Oil. Carnuba Wax
  17. Nat Edge Fence Post Bowl

Nat Edge Fence Post Bowl

I turned this from part of a split weathered post a friend gave me. It's split edges were left on the side of the bowl, and of course, the natural edge is the rim. The wood looks to be a kind of Locust, but someone mentioned it could be Chestnut. I've never turned any Chestnut, so it seems...
  18. Curly Maple Natural Edge Bowl

Curly Maple Natural Edge Bowl

This is a piece of wood I got from a buddy on a woodworking forum I frequent. I think it pretty much qualifies as "curly" maple. :-) It finished up at about 18" x 14" x 3 1/4". The walls are about 1/2" thick. Finish is Antique Oil and lacquer, 3-wheel buffed. The...
  19. Red Mulberry Natural Edge Closed Form

Red Mulberry Natural Edge Closed Form

A footed natural edge closed form in red mulberry. This piece is part of my "Red Mulberry Collection", a set of commissioned pieces turned from a few chunks left over from the removal of a large tree that once graced a private home in downtown Annapolis. The owners wanted the pieces...
  20. Square Bowl, Square Foot

Square Bowl, Square Foot

This bowl is ash, about 10 1/2 by 13 inches and the most striking feature is probably not the foot, but the bark on the far side. The non-bark edges were left rough in keeping with the overall theme.
Back