• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

end grain

1. False Wenge Calabash

False Wenge Calabash

Black Locust end grain calabash that I fumed with 10% ammonia for around 8 hours. Black Locust has a high tannin content, and as such responds well to ammonia fuming. It looks very similar to Wenge, but has a slight yellow cast. This is also a fairly small bowl at 2 5/8"h x 2 7/8"d. I made this...
  2. Mesquite natural edge end grain vase

Mesquite natural edge end grain vase

mesquiite: my favorite wood
  3. J

Any way to make endgrain easier?

Hi again. I'm now trying to learn hollowing (e.g., for lidded boxes) and finding that I don't seem to have the arm/shoulder strength to do it without significant pain and muscle cramping. I've tried a bowl gouge, small easywood carbide cutters, and friend here lent me a bigger/heftier round...
  4. Rusty Fleeman

California Buckeye End Grain

I've been in the process of making some popcorn tubs from California Buckeye. to get the size I'm after (10"w & tapering to 7 1/4" x 9 1/2" t) I'm going end grain. it seems to be a very soft wood and very susceptible to major tear out even with freshly sharpened tools on a vari-grind. Do any...
  5. Jamie Straw

Truing (facing off?) end grain and making shallow recess

I want to try Ruth Niles' approach and make a shallow recess for the stopper when I turn my first stopper in years. Cannot remember for sure (a) best way (tool and technique) to true to the end of the cylinder ("facing off" it's called?), and (b) what options (tool and technique) I consider for...
Back