• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

faceplates

1. J

Is 8/1000 too much runout on a faceplate?

I just bought a new steel 6" faceplate. It screws onto my Grizzly G0766 (powermatic clone) lathe fine all the way up to the flat area at the back of the spindle. Using magnetic base and dial indicator I get 8/1000 runout at the outside edge of the faceplate. This is runout that is not caused...
  2. J

What length of faceplate screws should I use?

How long does the screw have to penetrate into the wood to get a good hold? I realize that this depends upon the size of the blank I am turning but I hope to get a general rule of thumb. At the moment I want to turn a 8" diameter by 1.5" thick blank as practice for platter turning. Finished...
  3. J

Countersinking holes on the face of a faceplate?

Although new to woodturning I have done flat / box woodworking for many years and I know that when you drive a screw into a piece of wood the wood will mushroom up around the hole. Some woodturning DVDs and videos advise adding a countersink to the front (wood) face of a faceplate to provide a...
  4. J

Double sided tape in turning?

In "flat" woodworking, I have used double sided tape to hold pieces together or attach templates so that I can make duplicate parts. Many times the tape will fail during use which caused parts to be damaged. This morning I was watching a Rex & Kip DVD where they attach a piece of wood to a...
  5. C

Oneway VERSA-MOUNTâ„¢ UNIVERSAL MOUNTING SYSTEM

I am trying to decide whether to buy Oneway's traditional faceplates or their Versa-Mount Universal Mounting System: http://www.oneway.ca/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=33&Itemid=2 I can't find any reviews of the Versa-Mount so wondering if anyone here has one or...
Back