• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

finial

1. Ring bowl

Ring bowl

Hackberry crotch with ipe finial.
  2. Basket Illusion vase with Finial

Basket Illusion vase with Finial

Basket Illusion vase w/finial, approx 14" tall x 6.5" dia. Used segmented hard maple for body.
  3. Cherry Royal

Cherry Royal

Stands 11.25 inches tall. Brass, Gaboon Ebony, Cherry Burl.
  4. Black Walnut Root Hollow Form

Black Walnut Root Hollow Form

This vase/hollow form is from a piece of the root from a Black Walnut tree. The finial and pedestal are made from Cherry which is dyed black and lacquered. Dimensions: approximately 20" tall x 4.5" diameter Comments and critiques are welcome.
  5. ring 24 segments wenge veneer, azobe half sphere and wenge finial, 6 penblank pieces glued in the ring

ring 24 segments wenge veneer, azobe half sphere and wenge finial, 6 penblank pieces glued in the ring

This was extremely nice to make, like it!
  6. Boule de Canton

Boule de Canton

A sphere of 65 mm with 6 spheres inside in maple. The mother sphere has 3 mm wall, the other 5 have 2 mm wall and the central sphere is 7.5 mm radius.
  7. Boule de Canton

Boule de Canton

The 3 components
  8. Boule de Canton

Boule de Canton

After 1 year of no activities on my lathe, I am back. A sphere of 65 mm with 6 spheres inside in maple. The mother sphere has 3 mm wall, the other 5 have 2 mm wall and the central sphere is 7.5 mm radius. The spiral support idea comes from “The Manuel du Tourneur” by L. E. Bergeron, 1816...
  9. Sunset Orange

Sunset Orange

Sycamore hollow form 10 inch diameter. Collar in brown ebony with finial in Gabon ebony. Dyed with Chestnut Stains.
  10. Urn

Urn

This urn will go to France as soon as travels are authorized and the conditions are better. Madrone burl, 7 1/2 " diameter, 4 1/2" high, 8" overall.
  11. Osage Orange vase

Osage Orange vase

Osage Orange vase / hollow form. Burned and textured with faux ebony finial. 12" tall
  12. Twist and Shout

Twist and Shout

Ash hollow form embellished with twisting spiral carving and topped with ebony cap and finial (5.5” x 11”)
  13. Black Acacia Hollow Form

Black Acacia Hollow Form

Black Acacia Hollow Form with Finial
  14. Madrone Burl Finial Box

Madrone Burl Finial Box

I decided to finish it with a Delt Clear Wood Finish Semi-Glossy
  15. Finial Box

Finial Box

My first attempt on a Finial Box …
  16. Finial Box

Finial Box

My first attempt on a finial box … The box and lid are from a madrone burl and the foot, inlay ring and finial are from dyed hard maple. 5" diameter and 8 1/2" tall
  17. Cocobolo with Ebony and Aluminum

Cocobolo with Ebony and Aluminum

Cocobolo vase (5.5"D x 6" ) adourned with a removable ebony collar and aluminum/cocobolo finial. Overall about 11" tall. All components hand-turned by usual method as previous items. Commments and Critiques are appreciated. www.perfectwoodworks.com
  18. Thank You Cindy

Thank You Cindy

This vase is 18 inchs tall and the finial is inspired by Cindy Drozda
  19. Cottonwood and Walnut Square Bowl

Cottonwood and Walnut Square Bowl

I turned this in a club challenge. Those participating were given a piece of cottonwood, told to turn something and add to it. I got a square piece, so out came a square bowl, I added the walnut lid and finial. It is 7x7x4 plus the finial. You can see the worm holes. I hit some with CA and left...
  20. Lidded Bowl - Spalted Maple w Wenge Finial

Lidded Bowl - Spalted Maple w Wenge Finial

Spalted Maple Bowl w Lid. Finial is Wenge.
Back