• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

finishes

1. Zach LaPerriere

Oil finish thickness

I'm a traditionalist, or at least I've been accused of being one. I use finishes with no synthetic thinners. I'm moving away from walnut oil in favor of Tried and True Original finish, which is mostly linseed with some bees wax. I've also played around with Danish oil and their varnish...
  2. C

Millies All-Purpose Polymerized Tung Oil

Has anyone tried this finish and if so how is it? Drying time? Here is the manufacturer web link: http://www.sutherlandwelles.com/millies.html I heard about it on Serious Toolworks site where they also sell it...
  3. D

spalted maple 10 inch bowl

I am working on a 10 inch spalted maple bowl 10 X 4. I have tons of voids. I have read about filling the voids with various things and that may be what I have to go with. However, I am wondering about surface sanding to 600 and then applying CA for 3 or 4 coats and then polishing it with CA...
  4. Joe Cornell

safety issues with white diamond and tripoli buffing

I have started making wooden goblets (picasaweb.google.com/joeswoodart - honest comments appreciated) and finishing them with General Finishes Salad Bowl Finish. I have looked at the MSDS for white diamond and tripoli compounds on the web and it appears that tripoli is silicon dioxide (same...
Back