• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

hf

1. John Torchick

HF dust collection footprint

I definitely need a decent DC system. The Shop Vac is very limited as you all know. As the budget permits, and SWMBO agrees, I'm considering the HF 61790/97869, 2 HP, 70 gallon system. My main concern is the size of the footprint. I'm cramped for space as it is so that is important. I might...
  2. Spalted Red Oak HF

Spalted Red Oak HF

Measures 7 1/4" X 3 3/4". One of my first hollow forms so the opening is a little large at 1 3/4". Finished with Antique Oil.
  3. Spalted Birch HF

Spalted Birch HF

Got lucky at our club raffle and got a hunk of dry spalted birch. This is one half of it. Measures 3-1/2" diameter x 4" tall with a 1/2" opening. Finished with antique oil and buffed.
  4. Maple burl top

Maple burl top

Vessel: Maple Burl (Domestic) Collar: African Blackwood (Exotic) Dimensions: 3.25"h x 3.875"w You can go to my gallery to more/larger shots of this piece. The link is in my signature.
  5. Maple burl

Maple burl

Vessel: Maple Burl (Domestic) Collar: African Blackwood (Exotic) Dimensions: 3.25"h x 3.875"w You can go to my gallery to more/larger shots of this piece. The link is in my signature.
  6. Maple Burl HF

Maple Burl HF

Here is another small hollow form in maple burl with a African Blackwood collar. Form is about 4"h, 2"d, and 1/8"thin. Finished with oil and buffed with wax. All comments welcome.
  7. Black Locust Burl Hollow Form

Black Locust Burl Hollow Form

This is a little hollow form I turned from some black locust burl that's just gorgeous with golds and browns and cream colors, I don't think my photos do it justice. Turned green to finish, it's about 4" high, 2"dia., and less than 1/8" thin. Collar is Bois de Rose. Finished with...
  8. Darkside

Darkside

This is a hollow form I turned from a piece of cherry. I didn't like the grain on it so I coated it with black gesso and then burnished the ridges to make them shiny which makes a nice contrast to the matte finish in the recesses. I couldn't get a good detail photo, but it makes a nice textured...
  9. "Ganymede"

"Ganymede"

Natural Edge Hollow Form in spalted maple. Inspired by surface structures on Galilean moon Ganymede. Catalog #147 Max Diameter: 7" Height: 8" Base Diameter: 2 1/8" Wall Thickness: 3/16" (typ) Finish: Tung Oil, Carnuba Wax
  10. Maple

Maple

This piece of Maple had so much going on I chose a simple form to show the wood. Measures 6-1/2" dia. x 7-3/4" tall. Finish is wipe on gel poly and beall buffed.
  11. Maple HF, Dyed

Maple HF, Dyed

Maple HF, 4-1/2" dia. x 7-1/4" tall. Wall 1/8". Dyed with Artisan Dye and finished with Deft Spray Lacquer and Buffed. Interior is left natural. Dimpled rim with Dremal tool.
Back