• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

hollow

1. Roots n Shoots

Roots n Shoots

9.5 inches tall Aspen
  2. Autumn Vase

Autumn Vase

Cottonwood, 11 inches tall
  3. "Flower Vase" series, #13

"Flower Vase" series, #13

Aspen, 13 inches high.
  4. "Flower Vase" series # 10

"Flower Vase" series # 10

Maple, 8 inches tall
  5. "Flower Vase" series #4

"Flower Vase" series #4

Box Elder, 7.75" tall
  6. "Flower Vase" #3

"Flower Vase" #3

Walnut, 7 inches
  7. Pharaoh`s Muse

Pharaoh`s Muse

Box Elder, 8.75 inches tall.
  8. Vessel

Vessel

It's crazy how Madrone burl would warp and crack in the open. Turned green with edge charring and some copper wiring.
  9. Vessel

Vessel

It's crazy how Madrone burl would warp and crack in the open. Turned green with edge charring and some copper wiring.
  10. Suger Maple Burl Vessel detail

Suger Maple Burl Vessel detail

Turned from a sugar maple burl vessel that Chris Ramsey gave me 7-8 years ago. It was primo material with enough to get three pieces. This piece was in the freezer several years, then turned 2-3 years ago. I just recently got around to the carving. Sometimes things take a while.
  11. Sugar Maple Burl Vessel

Sugar Maple Burl Vessel

Turned from a sugar maple burl vessel that Chris Ramsey gave me 7-8 years ago. It was primo material with enough to get three pieces. This piece was in the freezer several years, then turned 2-3 years ago. I just recently got around to the carving. Sometimes things take a while. (Turning Of The...
  12. Pear Vessel

Pear Vessel

Done with Cynthia Gibson who deserves most of the credit. Turned from green Bradford pear, 7"h.
  13. Pear Vessel

Pear Vessel

Done with Cynthia Gibson, who really deserves most of the credit. Green Bradford pear, about 7"h
  14. English Walnut Vessel

English Walnut Vessel

Turned and Carved English Walnut 9d x 8h Wood is from my friend Dale Larson
  15. Kim Rymer

AAW Live Online Event: John Jordan, Turning a Small Lidded Jar, November 21, 2020

Join us online for an exclusive experience with the extraordinary John Jordan, AAW Honorary Lifetime Member and celebrated woodturning master. All experience levels are welcome. For more information and registration, visit http://tiny.cc/MasterSeriesJordan
  16. Trever Hansen

Advanced Burl Project

So i have this burl log, its hollow and is surrounded entirely of burl. Imo is one of those rare finds, maybe not, but i feel like it can become something beautiful. My very first thought was a lamp, being hollow already, or a large vase (would have to make a base), or an art piece. Im hoping...
  17. Spalted Porcupine

Spalted Porcupine

"And now for something completely different." Trying something new. Uprights are South African Porcupine quills. (NO PORCUPINES WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THIS VESSEL, WOODTURNERS ON THE OTHER HAND...) I think the wood is Hickory? I was helping Binh clean out a storage space and...
  18. Little Wind Hollow Form

Little Wind Hollow Form

Figured Maple Hollow Form, turned and carved. The dimensions are 6" round by 2.5" tall, finished with satin polyurethane.
  19. hughie

how do you sand here??

Here a question for the hollow vessel experts and any body else I guess as well Until recently I have nearly always turned larger vessels ie 1-14"+ in dia with fairly wide mouths, of which allows me good access for sanding. But now I have embarked on smaller dias around 4-6" with much...
  20. Ambrosia Maple Group

Ambrosia Maple Group

All made from the same tree but not the same log section. From the left rear; 10" wide x 7" high, oiled and buffed with carnauba wax. 8" wide x 10" high, oiled and buffed with carnauba wax. 6.5" wide x 10" high, no oil, finished with lacquer. From left...
Back