• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

hollowing

1. Rustic Spitoon

Rustic Spitoon

Rustic Spitoon This piece was made in 2010 and has been looked at several times. different colours and finishes were applied but nothing that I felt suited it. Recently I rejuvenated it to be what you see now. I think the rustic look suits this piece best. It is made from Sycamore, 340mm high x...
  2. Mesquite Root Ball Vase 10"H x 11"D

Mesquite Root Ball Vase 10"H x 11"D

10" H x 11 Dia. Mesquite Root Ball inlay-ed with Turquoise. The Root Ball was dug up with a bulldozer in Wichita Falls TX. I rough turned it and I let it dry for about 9 months. After it was dry, I remounted, did the final turning, Inlay-ed Turquoise, Sanded and Finishing.
  3. Mesquite Root Ball Vase 10"H x 11"D

Mesquite Root Ball Vase 10"H x 11"D

10" H x 11 Dia. Mesquite Root Ball inlay-ed with Turquoise. The Root Ball was dug up with a bulldozer in Wichita Falls TX. I rough turned it and I let it dry for about 9 months. After it was dry, I remounted, did the final turning, Inlay-ed Turquoise, Sanded and Finishing.
  4. J

Any way to make endgrain easier?

Hi again. I'm now trying to learn hollowing (e.g., for lidded boxes) and finding that I don't seem to have the arm/shoulder strength to do it without significant pain and muscle cramping. I've tried a bowl gouge, small easywood carbide cutters, and friend here lent me a bigger/heftier round...
  5. Pierced Sycamore Ornament

Pierced Sycamore Ornament

This Sycamore Ornament has Walnut finials. It won 1st place in our local, South Kansas Woodturners, club contest for both the lightest and the best looking. It measures about 2 1/2" w x 5" h and has a wall thickness ranging from .030 to .050. The design is comprised of the word, NOEL...
  6. Oval Hollowing

Oval Hollowing

Trying to go beyond platter in using the VOD
  7. Deep Hollowing System

Deep Hollowing System

I wanted to make an extremely rugged system for deep hollowing including a laser thickness guidance capability, and this is what I came up with...
Back