• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

leaf

1. Leaf platter

Leaf platter

Poplar leaf platter, 6”x6”x2”.
  2. Atariak

Atariak

A natural-edge vessel turned from a Big Leaf Maple burl cap with bleached accent rings. The base posts were turned out of Madagascar Ebony and the base from African Mahogany. "Atariak" is Basque for "Portals". Widest diameter:27 1/2" Height (including Base): 25&quot...
  3. Scat!

Scat!

Cork Oak, gold leaf, pyrography, acrylic paint 6.75d x 5t Protecting her nest, a mockingbird swoops boldly upon the cat. These feisty birds show up in our neighborhood every summer. I really enjoy their many vocalizations, which often continue through the night. Our cats just watch them and...
  4. Say Cheese!

Say Cheese!

Sycamore, pyrography, metal leaf 10.25x 3.375 Cheesecake, quirky like most cats, favored napping in the bathroom sink. A bit different for me, this simple vessel design was selected to allow emphasis to be on the pyrographic image of Cheesecake rather than the bowl.
  5. Big Leaf

Big Leaf

Big Leaf This ancient kauri bowl was a bit of an undertaking as it is 14inches across, turning a thing of this size and trying to keep the form allowing for the carving was a teaser. I had to ring Andrew and order an extra long tool rest as well as I had 12 inches of overhang on my bowl...
  6. Big Leaf

Big Leaf

Big Leaf This ancient kauri bowl was a bit of an undertaking as it is 14inches across, turning a thing of this size and trying to keep the form allowing for the carving was a teaser. I had to ring Andrew and order an extra long tool rest as well as I had 12 inches of overhang on my bowl...
  7. Silver & Gold

Silver & Gold

Silver Maple, 22k gold leaf 12.625" x 4.813"
  8. Mostly Maple

Mostly Maple

13" x 5.875" Silver maple, dye, & metal leaf (silver, copper, composition gold)
  9. Neolithic Cup and Saucer

Neolithic Cup and Saucer

A natural edge vessel-in-vessel turned from a piece of Big Leaf Maple burl. Two bands were turned and pyrographed using a micro torch and pyrography pen. Base: 2 3/4" dia. Overall Height:2 3/4" Maximum Diameter: 13 1/4" Finish: Waterlox & Carnuba Wax
  10. Maple, Paduk, vintage German glass buttons, gold leaf

Maple, Paduk, vintage German glass buttons, gold leaf

7.25" by 3". Started out as a multi-axes maple globe that was so blah I almost tossed it. After the final flip of the axis there was not enough meat left to get rid of the marks from the head/tail stocks so I made them a tad deeper and epoxied the buttons in after covering the globe...
  11. 1.15.07

2 5/8 in. tall, 2 1/4 in. wide, pear wood, textured and color added, 23K gold leaf inside.
  12. Big Leaf Maple

Big Leaf Maple

Big Leaf Maple with Walnut lid
  13. Thinking Outside The Box

Thinking Outside The Box

These tall boxes (tallest 8.5"hx3"w) were turned and then pyrographically branded. Silver-leaf was applied and then patinated.
Back