• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

maple

1. Maple Neural Network Bowl - Three views

Maple Neural Network Bowl - Three views

I showed this bowl in unfinished form at the Feb 8 Thin Wall demonstration I gave to the Seattle Chapter membership. Before I started piercing I showed it to one of our members who commented on the wonderful figure of the maple . I decided to pierce every alternate ring of the figure in order...
  2. Threaded Maple box

Threaded Maple box

Cross-grain Maple box with a hand-chased 8tpi thread. Approx 75mm (3”) diameter. Finished with Hardwax oil and lightly buffed.
  3. Magrathea Bound

Magrathea Bound

Multi-axis turned whale in maple on a sapele base. Inspired by a passage from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy where against all likelihood a sperm whale comes into existence above the planet Magrathea.
  4. M

A Chunk of City provided Hard Maple

The city began removing a dying maple that was also rubbing a street light wire across the street from me this week. By yesterday they were getting closer to the trunk of the tree and by the afternoon the color started to show. I stepped over a mentioned I may want to talk them out of a piece...
  5. Bowl from a board debut

Bowl from a board debut

My first gallery post here. Walnut and maple. 9" diameter. 3" tall.
  6. Maple on Maple

Maple on Maple

Maple platter 11.25" dia. Airbrushed maple leaves.
  7. Maple box hand-carved and dyed with black spirit stain

Maple box hand-carved and dyed with black spirit stain

Carved with a v-shaped chisel head, then dyed thoroughly with black spirit stain. I didn't know when I finished the inside that I would be coliring the outside, so I waxed the inside, which left a bit of an inconsistent finish.
  8. Spalted Range Rider

Spalted Range Rider

This Range Rider hat is turned from spalted Maple. I was taught how to turn hats from master turner and fellow OVWG member/friend Dave Kratzer. This one is a mini hat, 7.25 inches diameter and 3.25 inches tall. Sanded, bent in a bending jig and finished with gloss lacquer. They are fun to make!!
  9. Purpura Corallium

Purpura Corallium

Maple hollow vessel, carved and textured. Colored with acrylics.
  10. Oberon

Oberon

6" high x 7" wide bowl from a Maple burl. Sealed, edge-burned, and waxed. This was actually in my unfinished and don't-know-what-to-do pile for about 3 years because of some punky spots. Glad I found it.
  11. Salvage Job

Salvage Job

I turned this originally about a month ago. Let it dry and just hated it. So, I put it back on the lathe with a glue block and completely reshaped it. I mistakenly picked up some Walnut Danish oil, so I used it here. Polished with Beall system. Green Curly Maple.
  12. Balloon BOC box

Balloon BOC box

A box for Beads of Courage done with an iridescent paint texture on maple. 7” x 6”.
  13. Big Leaf Maple Bowl

Big Leaf Maple Bowl

Big leaf curly maple. Turned wet. Dried and finished with danish oil.
  14. green maple turned, carved and textured

green maple turned, carved and textured

First time carving a turning. My name for this particular maple tree is "tear out maple". Seems no matter what I do, I get tear out. West coast big leaf maple. Artist's fixative and Boiled Linseed Oil.
  15. Candle sticks

Candle sticks

Figured Maple, African Blackwood, pewter and a bit of sterling silver. Design by Christian Burchard from American Woodturner December 1997. First foray into casting pewter. Making two adds another element for skill training.
  16. Three vases with translucent epoxy inlays.

Three vases with translucent epoxy inlays.

Two in cherry and one in spalted maple, all about 3 inches in diameter. For this photo I put a small led battery-powered lamp in the bottom. Can you figure out how I make them?
  17. Milkweed Butterfly view 2

Milkweed Butterfly view 2

Frontal view with different lighting.
  18. Milkweed Butterfly Luminary

Milkweed Butterfly Luminary

This is "Milkweed Butterfly" the third and final luminary I used for the Seattle Woodturners October mini-Symposium. This one was my "just off the lathe" example for the demo and needed pyrography as well as piercing. This photo includes a view of the inner coating. I used Liquitex opal blue...
  19. Flower Tree Luminary view 2

Flower Tree Luminary view 2

This view shows typical lighting when used as a luminary.
  20. Flower Tree Luminary

Flower Tree Luminary

This now completed 4x6 maple luminary was the example of a nearly complete vessel for my demonstration at the Seattle Woodturners' October mini-Symposium. It is adapted from a Swiss wall hanging from around 1820. This view is in normal everyday room lighting.
Back