• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

open form

1. Elm Vessel

Elm Vessel

I had an idea for a vessel a couple years ago and decided that the 300 year old elm tree was a worthy candidate for my creation. The thought that this tree was standing 30 or 40’ tall when Patrick Henry gave his famous speech a block away in St. John’s church was with me during its creation.
  2. Spalted Beech Footed Vessel

Spalted Beech Footed Vessel

I turned this footed vessel from a piece of nicely spalted beech. It is 8.5" tall and 5.5" in diameter. I used a wood burner to create the texture on the banding. I like how the burned texture in the banding accentuates the spalting.
  3. The Drone

The Drone

This footed vessel is turned and carved from black cherry. It is roughly 8" in diameter and 6 1/2" tall. The finish is oil based urethane. I named it The Drone because it looks like it is trying to lift off the surface and fly.
Back