• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

pyrography

1. Pierced Butterfly Bowl

Pierced Butterfly Bowl

This 7 by 4 inch thin-wall maple bowl has two Monarch butterflies hovering around a milkweed flower. The butterflies are done with Derwent Inktense pencils and the inside is silver blue acrylic. The natural figure of this end-grain maple bowl is highlighted by piercing every second growth ring.
  2. Roots n Shoots

Roots n Shoots

9.5 inches tall Aspen
  3. Creekside

Creekside

Creekside is the latest in my nature series. Birds are a favorite subject of mine which complements my birding hobby. Each piece in this series displays a further refinement of the subjects as I become more familiar with the use of Faber-Castell Polychromos colored oil pencils. The birds and...
  4. Pili

Pili

Eastern Red Cedar endgrain calabash form with a tiny foot for added lift. 6.25" diameter x 5.75" height. Turned, carved (rim), and woodburned. The interior is ebonized. Pili (singular pilus) is the technical term for the hairs found on bacteria (and humans, among other things). They serve...
  5. Navet Noir

Navet Noir

Navet Noir (Black Turnip), 4.5”d x 3.5”h. I started this piece earlier this year for demos. Each “section” showed a different stage of the embellishment process. Friday morning I decided to finish it up to bring to a show that was opening that evening. I’m glad I did because it sold in the...
  6. "Flower Vase" series #20

"Flower Vase" series #20

Cottonwood 12.75 x 6.75 inches #20!!! I am surprised I even made another, they really kick my butt...oof!
  7. Collaboration with Time and Elm

Collaboration with Time and Elm

Sugarberry egg on African Blackwood stand. Egg is embellished with acrylic paints, India ink, pyrography texture, and finished with rattle lacquer. Stand is finished with hemp oil. 7”h x 4”d. This is a special time capsule piece—story in comments.
  8. Coral Vessel

Coral Vessel

This hollow form vessel was turned with 1/2" wall thickness. It was then carved with a Fordom and Micromotor tools. After the final shape was achieved the surface was burned with pyrography pen followed by India ink and blue gray colors applied with a dry brush technique. The vessel is 6" tall...
  9. Autumn Vase

Autumn Vase

Cottonwood, 11 inches tall
  10. Spalted elm moon bowl.

Spalted elm moon bowl.

Outside of Spalted elm bowl with carved craters accented by pyrography. Gloss enamel finish. 8 1/2" diameter , 2 1/2" tall
  11. Spalted elm moon bowl.

Spalted elm moon bowl.

Inside of Spalted elm bowl with carved craters accented by pyrography. Gloss enamel finish. 8 1/2" diameter , 2 1/2" tall
  12. Shapeshifter

Shapeshifter

Cherry wood, pyrography, acrylic paint, 8 3/4” x 13” x 12 1/2”.
  13. "Flower Vase" series # 17

"Flower Vase" series # 17

Aspen 11.25 inches tall
  14. Norberta

Norberta

Silver Maple egg and Black Cherry base. The hot topic seems to be embellishment; funny timing, as this piece has a bunch of it! I used a round burr and carved away and stippled sections of the egg. Then I burned a fragment pattern on the surface, and lightly charred the egg with a torch...
  15. "Flower Vase" series, #13

"Flower Vase" series, #13

Aspen, 13 inches high.
  16. "Flower Case" series #11

"Flower Case" series #11

Aspen, 8 inches tall The flowers are intended to imply the Columbine flower. I used acrylic paints, India ink, branding, pyrography, and semi gloss lacquer topcoat
  17. "Flower Vase" series # 10

"Flower Vase" series # 10

Maple, 8 inches tall
  18. Bijou Noir

Bijou Noir

Black Jewel, 5.5”d x 3.75”h
  19. Preening Time

Preening Time

"Preening Time" Feathers turned from Pear, textured with pyrography and airbrushed. The base is Rosewood Burl.
  20. Éclair Noir

Éclair Noir

Last year I was playing with this motif on a few pieces, but was never happy with results. The branded pattern was very regular and any imperfections stood out like a sore thumb. This one was began then as well, but then set aside because I was disappointed once again. Finally, I decided to just...
Back