• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

resin

1. the divide

the divide

Auminite resin and a Cottonwood burl
  2. Rob Wyatt

Sweetgum pods

We have a Sweetgum tree and every season it covers the front yard in prickly pods. This year I noticed they look a lot like the coronavirus so I collected a bunch and plan to cast and turn them. When they first fall they are hard, heavy and closed. These are all open, with large seed cavities...
  3. Resin & Burl Ornament

Resin & Burl Ornament

The ornament body is comprised of small pieces of maple burl suspended in resin, the finial and icicle are walnut the base is a piece of spalted maple. The illumination is a string of battery-powered LED lights. The battery pack is mounted in the base and can be removed to replace the batteries...
  4. J

Casting resin and composite decking?

I got talked into rebuilding a neighbor's deck using UltraDeck® Rustic™ Low-Maintenance Composite Decking. I tried using epoxy to glue two scraps together and the bond would not hold. I was considering asking a friend to take some scraps and cast them into a bottle stopper blank. I would turn...
  5. R

Turning Resin Vs. Turning wood

What tips do people have about turning resin versus the techniques used for turning wood? Do you sharpen your tools differently? Do you use different types of tools? What level of sanding do you take the surface to before starting a polishing process for finishing?
  6. V

Homemade Acrylic Pen Blanks

Hello all, I've been reading about acrylic pen blanks and wondered if anyone has used "easy cast" to make them. I'm also a jewelry maker and embed antique postcards in this 2 part epoxy. It dries rock hard and crystal clear. It's considered the best for that application. I have a gallon of this...
Back