• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

rose engine

1. Satinwood ornamental box

Satinwood ornamental box

This box is made from a piece of Satinwood given to me recently by a friend to see if it was suitable for ornamental turning. I am pleased with the way that it came out with no tear out using both a drilling frame and a cutting frame on my Rose Engine lathe. It is 65mm tall and 47mm in diameter...
  2. Small ornamental Box

Small ornamental Box

This small box 60mm tall 40mm in diameter was decorated on my Rose Engine lathe. The wood is unknown by me but was quite dense so it took the pattern well. The top has a white CZ inserted in the centre of the pattern. The inside of the lid is also decorated and has a blue CZ stone in the centre...
  3. Multi-axis figured walnut bowl with rose engine accents

Multi-axis figured walnut bowl with rose engine accents

I turned this bowl using the long-tenon method, kicking it off-axis to turn the inside portion of the bowl. I then turned two additional facets on the outside to catch the light at different angles. The rose engine accents were turned on my MDF Rose Engine 2.0 while the bowl was off-axis. The...
  4. Multi-axis figured walnut bowl with rose engine accents

Multi-axis figured walnut bowl with rose engine accents

I turned this bowl using the long-tenon method, kicking it off-axis to turn the inside portion of the bowl. I then turned two additional facets on the outside to catch the light at different angles. The rose engine accents were turned on my MDF Rose Engine 2.0 while the bowl was off-axis. The...
  5. Sapele rose engine box

Sapele rose engine box

4"x3"
  6. Rose engine bowl - 6/36 rosette, alternating patterns with ornamented rim

Rose engine bowl - 6/36 rosette, alternating patterns with ornamented rim

I made this bowl on my MDF Rose Engine out of sapele. It is about 4" across, and was an experiment to see how much I could alter the shape of the bowl simply by cutting the rim.
  7. Rose engine bowl - 6/36 rosette, alternating patterns with ornamented rim

Rose engine bowl - 6/36 rosette, alternating patterns with ornamented rim

I made this bowl on my MDF Rose Engine out of sapele. It is about 4" across, and was an experiment to see how much I could alter the shape of the bowl simply by cutting the rim.
  8. Bottom of a blackwood box ornamented with the GP-3 rosette

Bottom of a blackwood box ornamented with the GP-3 rosette

Bottom of a blackwood box ornamented with the GP-3 rosette
  9. African blackwood box with 6-pointed scalloped star turned on MDF rose engine

African blackwood box with 6-pointed scalloped star turned on MDF rose engine

African blackwood box with 6-pointed scalloped star turned on MDF rose engine
  10. Ornamental Honduras Rosewood Box

Ornamental Honduras Rosewood Box

Ornamental turned box made on the rose engine lathe. Size is 3" in diameter x 4 &1/2" tall. Box is made of Honduras Rosewood, African Blackwood & Pink Ivory wood.
  11. Ornamental Mopane Wood Box

Ornamental Mopane Wood Box

Ornamental turned box made on the rose engine lathe. Size is 3" in diameter x 4 &1/4" tall. Box is made of Mopane wood, African Blackwood, Betel Nut & Pink Ivory wood.
  12. Spinning Tops on Tatooine III

Spinning Tops on Tatooine III

Spinning tops made of Amboyna Burl, African Blackwood, Tagua & Betel Nuts set on a Maple Burl Base. Inspiration for this piece was from the movie Star Wars IV A new Hope. The main stand holds 3 spinning tops on their individual stands. Decorations on their stands were done on the rose engine lathe.
  13. Christmas Tree Ornaments

Christmas Tree Ornaments

Rose engine turned designs on African Blackwood. Then filled with paint and wiped clean to only show the design cut that was cut..
  14. Kalimantan Parlor Top

Kalimantan Parlor Top

Made of African Blackwood, Kalimantan Palm Nut, Tagua Nut, Pink Ivory Wood, Bloodwood & Cocus Wood. Decoration on the stand was done with a rose engine lathe.
  15. Tops x Seven

Tops x Seven

A group of spinning tops. Made of African Blackwood, Amboyna Burl, Maple Burl, Pink Ivory wood, Acrylics, Acetate, Tagua Nut & Betel Nut. Some have stand decorated on the Rose Engine Lathe. 2.5" to 5" tall. I find a special joy in turning spinning tops, perhaps because my philosophy is that play...
  16. 3 Bread Lames

3 Bread Lames

Bread Lames made of African Blackwood, Tagua Nut, Betel Nut & Pink Ivory wood. Decorated on a rose engine lathe. Two views, one with the scoring blades extended, and the other with the blade retracted. Screw fittings are located internally. These are used by bread bakers to score the top of bred...
  17. Spin Top Box

Spin Top Box

Ornamental Turned spinning top with matching box. Tops sits on the box 2 ways. Made of African Blackwood, Bamboo, Betel Nut & Lignum Vitae wood. 3" in diameter.
  18. Ornamental Buttons / Pendants

Ornamental Buttons / Pendants

Ornamental turned Buttons & Pendants.1" to 2" in size. Various woods, nuts, clay, paper, ceramic & glass.
  19. Marble Pedestal

Marble Pedestal

Pedestal made of African Blackwood, Ornamental turned on a Rose Engine lathe. Size is 2" x 1 & 3/4".
  20. RichColvin

Ornamental Turners in Central Ohio

I am a getting ready to embark into Ornamental Turning & am looking for people in the Columbus / central Ohio area willing to share knowledge. I am looking to build my own system and looking for advice. Rich
Back