• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

sharpening

1. RichColvin

Sharpening Handbook

I’ve compiled a lot of sharpening information on the Sharpening Handbook. The goal of the site is not to teach sharpening; rather the site is meant as a reference for those who already know how to sharpen specific tools. It meant to mirror the value provided for machinists by Fred Colvin and...
  2. R

Evolution Original Sharpening System by Don Geiger

The Evolution Original Sharpening System by Don Geiger is new in the shipping box. It is used to set up the Wolverine Varigrind Jig to produce the David Ellsworth grind. The Evolution Original Sharpening System provides users with a very high degree of accuracy and repeatability when sharpening...
  3. S

Recently sharpened spindle gouge tip broke off during catch

Hi, new turner and new forum member. I recently purchased a gouge sharpening jig. In order to learn the motions, I practiced reshaping an old carbon spindle gouge that I got when I first purchased my lathe. Sharpening seemed to go okay and it cut fine. However, when I was widening a cove, I got...
  4. hockenbery

My journey to CBN wheels

I have been using CBN wheels for about 5 years. I remember chatting with @Bill Boehme at swat while he was in line to chat with Ken Rizzo about a CBN wheel he wanted to buy. I was non CBN convert back then for a lot of reasons- my ceramic wheels did a great job, I was really good a dressing...
  5. M

Raptor setup tools

Good morning all. I know this may sound simple, but I am having trouble understanding tool angles when using my raptor setup jigs and vari-grind sharpening tool. According to the sharpening video with Doug Thompson, using a 1 3/4 TSO for a tool is standard. When I use that TSO and say a 50°...
  6. Jim McLain

Grinder Stones Norton 3x 8 inch with accessories

Three new unused Norton 3x grinding stones. All are 8 inch by 1 inch. Two are 80 grit and one is 46 grit. Included with wheels are two precision adapters 1 inch by 5/8. Will also include two stone dressers. Total retail is well over $200. Will sell for $120.00 shipped to your door. Open...
  7. D

Sharpening help please

Hello, I have a 1/2" bowl gouge that I am having trouble sharpening. I have the bevel at approx. 46', but I think the shape is wrong. I have the wolverine grinding jig, but not the varigrind attachment. Can anybody provide some insight here? Am I sharpening as a spindle gouge instead of a bowl...
  8. J

Sharpening Method

I want to devote one of my belt sanders for sharpening my tools and build a jig for it. My question is if I use my Harbor Freight 4X36 Belt Sander, what would be the best grit to use assuming only one grit would be sufficient. I've been using a homemade 2X48 Belt Sander but 2" is too narrow for...
  9. Brad Winesett

Sharpening supplies and jigs

Prices below do not include shipping. I don't mind shipping UPS, Fedex, or USPS. Whatever you like best and I'll just charge exactly what it costs me. Tormek SVS-50 Multi-jig - SOLD! General Tools #809 Chisel/Plane blade guide $8.00...
  10. Glynn Cox

Optigrind CBN wheel 8"x 1.5" 170/200 grit steel

FOR SALE is a lightly used Optigrind 8" steel CBN grinding wheel. The wheel is 1.5" wide with abrasive on the face and one side. No corner radius. The wheel was made in Austria, not China, and includes a machined bushing for the standard 5/8" motor shaft. I am only selling it because I...
  11. J

40/40 on a Tormek

I tried out Batty's 40/40 grind earlier this year, and I like it - more for heavy spindle work than for bowls, but I'm not trying to start a debate. As a new Tormek owner, I was wondering if anyone has been able to replicate the grind, and if so, what Tormek/SV-186 settings did you use? Thanks!
  12. J

Do HSS turning tools loose their sharpness over time without use?

The subject line describes my question. What is your opinion? The long story: Last October my club had a professional turner in to teach a wet wood bowl turning class. Being a new turner I signed up and purchased a set of three bowl gouges. The instructor sharpened all three gouges. Last...
  13. Jamie Straw

Role of this sharpening set-up?? Suggestions?

Not long before I shut down my shop, I bought the sanding-/honing-wheel set-up seen in the picture below. It was made by a professional turner who was retiring (I think you'd recognize his name if I could only remember it!). Since it was an impulse buy (went there to get a powered respirator)...
  14. A

Grinder at 2850 rpm for sharpening

Hello everyone. As the selection of the forum may suggest, I am *very* new to turning. I received my lathe only a couple days ago. Before starting to turn, I assumed it would be good to also be able to sharpen the tools as needed (and I believe it is going to be needed a lot). So I went...
  15. John Torchick

Grinding wheel?

I have a grinder that uses the 6 in. dia. wheel X 3/4 in. with a 1/2 in. hole. I'm looking for a fine or very fine wheel to sharpen my lathe tools. I can't seem to find one anywhere. I'm sure that it exists. Also, need dressing wheel. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
  16. W

Bench Grinder Selection Help Needed

I need a new grinder for the Lathe Studio. Want the best I can afford, 8" should be large enough I think, but I was wondering about who makes the best grinder for lathe tool sharpening? I was hoping to find a 2 speed or a variable speed one so that sharpening can be done at a slower pace...
  17. CindyDrozda

Diamond Grinding Wheel Lubrication

A couple of years ago, I bought one of those Wood River diamond grinding wheels from Woodcraft. My reason for buying a diamond wheel was to be able to sharpen those powder-metal tools properly. That diamond wheel did polish the edge of those hard tools, but it loaded up, heated the tools up, and...
  18. J

Sharpening Skews

At a recent demo, the Demonstrator stated that when using a skew, catches can be minimized if it is sharpened with a convex bevel instead of being hollow ground. Does anyone have any experience along these lines? John
Back