• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

spheres

1. C

Turning Marbles on the Wood Lathe by Dick Sing

Learn how to turn a marble or ball on the wood lathe! World renowned wood turner, Dick Sing walks you through the process step by step. I will be posting a video series of about 30 videos related to wood turning with Dick Sing. These videos were part of my original DVD video magazine...
  2. "A Brief Place in Time"

"A Brief Place in Time"

Inspired by the work of painter Peter Max..... A variety of woods turned, carved, colored, constructed. Little Roger is carved from basswood. The pedestal includes an adjustable ball mount to vary the plane of the cosmos. 11" x 14". Thank you for looking!
  3. Croquet Set

Croquet Set

A present to my daughter. Mixed woods.
  4. The World Within

The World Within

"The World Within" A sphere within a sphere within a sphere, locked in place by two finals with the points meeting in the center. Turned from Pear, pierced, pyrographed, textured, with the center sphere painted red. Far more work than l envisioned and really wanted to do. Making a half decent...
  5. GRJensen

Sphere Turning - Simplified

First, a disclaimer. There are many ways to turn a sphere on the lathe. Some work better than others, and my way isn't necessarily the best way. It's just the way I do it! Though a "perfect" sphere can be challenging to achieve, you can turn near-perfect spheres without specialized jigs...
  6. Kokapelli black on black

Kokapelli black on black

An experiment using black on black with leather dye Edit - sandcarved citrus
  7. bowlman

Bowl Full Of Balls, number 2

Here is a pic of my latest, destined for the Instant Gallery in Phoenix. Big Leaf Maple Burl, 16+ inches diameter, 3+ inches deep. Balls are jatoba, Bloodwood, Birch, Black Cottonwood Burl, Ash and others. The bigger brother to this piece is going to the EOG auction. It is 19 inches in...
  8. bowlman

Bowl Full Of Balls

Here is my latest ... big leaf maple burl bowl, 19 x 3 1/2, oil and wax, buffed. Wooden spheres/balls of various species and sizes and surface treatments. Will be in Instant Gallery in Poenix ... unless you buy it first :) Comments and critiques welcomed.
  9. bowlman

Output for Sunday, May 4

Here are some shots of my Sunday output. The first is a shot of a BLM Burl bowl, 19 inches x 3+. When completed it will contain a myriad of turned and decorated wooden sphere. Examples are included below. The frst of the 4 is a 3 inch diameter (they are all 3 inches) sphere with white...
  10. bowlman

Off Lathe Sphere decorating Set Up *PIC*

With my cancer surgery only 1 week away, I have been busy getting things ready so that I can keep busy during the 6-8 week recovery period. The surgeon says i will be unable to and not feel like lifting anything over 10 lbs, so, I have been preparing for things I CAN do that are light weight...
  11. bowlman

Playing With My Balls

Here are a few pix of my latest endeavor. I have been experimenting with spheres for about a year now and I think I have gotten the hang of it. Tell me what you think. Woods are paduak, zebra wood, walnut, maple, maple burl, bloodwood and cocobolo.
  12. Bevy of bodacious balls brazenly balanced on a burly butternut bark board

Bevy of bodacious balls brazenly balanced on a burly butternut bark board

Spheres 1-3 inch diameter. Apple, Boxelder, Oak, and Cherry on a board of butternut bark.
  13. Balls up

Balls up

Spheres in differnt timbers the largest 6inches dia Burnt then buffed with jewellers rouge
Back