• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

vacuum chucking

1. Ironwood Bowl

Ironwood Bowl

So loved working with this unforgiving beauty
  2. Bottom using my vacuum headstock

Bottom using my vacuum headstock

Using the vacuum gripper I can work the bottoms really well.
  3. J

Hold Fast Vacuum Chucking System

This is a hold fast venturi vacuum pump system. Works great - included are 2 chucks that fit a powermatic 1 1/4 x 8" One chuck is 6" made by holdfast and the other is about 4" and is homemade. Included in kit: Hold fast vacuum pump (new $139) Hold fast vacuum adaptor (new $60) Hold fast 6"...
  4. J

Magnets around headstock or VFD

I love my Grizzly G0766 lathe but would like a larger area on top of the headstock for placing things. Would using a couple of strong rare earth magnets on top of the headstock affect the built in speed sensor? Also since the Grizzly has a metal box that surrounds the Delta VFD I was thinking...
  5. T

Vacuum Pump Recommendations

I am interested in your recommendations for a vacuum pump (manufacturer, model, specifications) for a vacuum chuck system.
  6. Stephen Mildenhall

Oneway 1224 wood lathe, vacuum chucking kit and accessories

Package Details: For sale a great small lathe, ideal for bowls up to 12" diameter, spindles and pens. I am moving to a city apartment and sadly have to sell. Lathe has a 220V motor with variable speed control. Integrated base with leveling feet keeps the lathe rock steady, even turning the...
  7. Emiliano Achaval

Vacuum Chuck Foam

I just got the complete set up for the Frugal Vacuum Guy. Very happy with the system. What do you guys use for the foamie for the chuck? I dont mind spending some money, not necessarily want the cheapest thing that works, but rather the best available. The ones that comes with it are rather on...
  8. J

Mounting Irregular shaped items on the lathe

Via the 'grapevine' I heard that some attendees of the San Jose Symposium were discussing how difficult it is to mount irregular shaped items on the lathe, in particular using vacuum. If this of interest to you, see my article on Compliant Vacuum Chucking Systems in the current issue of the...
  9. J

Vacuum Chucks

I've posted quite a bit of info on vacuum chucks on the forum in addition to my article in the Feb 2011 issue of the AW. This note is to give you notice that the promised article on the 'Compliant Vacuum Chucking System' is currently scheduled or the June 2012 issue of the AW. Due to space...
Back