• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

vessel

1. White spruce

White spruce

White spruce vessel with walnut pewa (butterflies). 5.5"h X 5.5"w. This was my first attempt at pewa and was a fun yet challenging piece to turn.
  2. Natural Edge Vessel Critique

Natural Edge Vessel Critique

Back in the day, actually a very early day in my life as a woodturner, I had much to learn. This photo of a natural edge vessel, cherry as I recall, (with bark and cracks and terriffic midday lighting on a wonderful backdrop) illustrates a number of lessons I thought I would share with newer...
  3. Wave Dancer

Wave Dancer

Wave Dancer From the time I was child of single digit years, I have always been thrilled to see porpoises. That has not changed, so it seems natural to me that I would choose a porpoise as the subject of my first foray into the world of embellishing surfaces with carving. This one was done...
  4. Spalted Beech Footed Vessel

Spalted Beech Footed Vessel

I turned this footed vessel from a piece of nicely spalted beech. It is 8.5" tall and 5.5" in diameter. I used a wood burner to create the texture on the banding. I like how the burned texture in the banding accentuates the spalting.
  5. The Drone

The Drone

This footed vessel is turned and carved from black cherry. It is roughly 8" in diameter and 6 1/2" tall. The finish is oil based urethane. I named it The Drone because it looks like it is trying to lift off the surface and fly.
  6. Callisto

Callisto

a hollowed vessel from a hurricane-felled live oak tree from a nearby neighborhood. Carved and textured. 7.5 in. x 8 in. high.
  7. Cyllene

Cyllene

5.5in x 7in hollowed vessel from a spalted sycamore
  8. Cyllene

Cyllene

5.5in x 7in hollowed vessel from a spalted sycamore
  9. "Flower Vase" series # 10

"Flower Vase" series # 10

Maple, 8 inches tall
  10. Fishing Hole

Fishing Hole

Basswood hollow form, carved from one piece with nothing added. Metal reactive paints in interior
  11. Fishing Hole

Fishing Hole

Basswood hollow form, all carved from one piece, nothing added.
  12. Spalted Hackberry Vessel

Spalted Hackberry Vessel

This vessel was turned from a piece of spalted hackberry and the ring is African blackwood. It is 7 1/2” in diameter and 6 1/4” tall. The finish is a flat acrylic spray.
  13. Walnut Vessel

Walnut Vessel

I was inspired by the works of Avelino Samuel when I created this piece a year ago this month. Avelino visited our Richmond Woodturners club after the Raleigh AAW Symposium and I was fortunate to be one of the club members that was able to spend the day with him learning about his design and...
  14. Earpod

Earpod

7x9 Earpod vessel
  15. Walnut vessel

Walnut vessel

Hollowed walnut vessel with natural edge 6x5 in. small pointed bottom so it will lean. Unstained and unsanded.
  16. Walnut Vessel

Walnut Vessel

Hollowed walnut vessel with natural edge 6x5 in. small pointed bottom so it will lean. Unstained and unsanded.
  17. Vessel

Vessel

It's crazy how Madrone burl would warp and crack in the open. Turned green with edge charring and some copper wiring.
  18. Vessel

Vessel

It's crazy how Madrone burl would warp and crack in the open. Turned green with edge charring and some copper wiring.
  19. Ash Vessel

Ash Vessel

Ash Vessel 5X7 With Poly Finish
  20. hughie

how do you sand here??

Here a question for the hollow vessel experts and any body else I guess as well Until recently I have nearly always turned larger vessels ie 1-14"+ in dia with fairly wide mouths, of which allows me good access for sanding. But now I have embarked on smaller dias around 4-6" with much...
Back