• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

video

1. C

Make this turned calculator to dress up any desk

Another great turning project from Dick Sing. This turned base really dresses up this calculator which in turn can dress up any desk. These make great gifts for everyone and you can really get creative with your designs! View: https://youtu.be/BKSqIU21Luc Cheers! Chris DeHut
  2. C

Setting up a new chuck on your wood lathe - by Dick Sing

How to get the most out of your new lathe chuck! Dick Sing walks you through the processes of unboxing, deburring, honing, and over all preparing a chuck for high performance use. If you want the most 'value' from your lathe chucks, be sure to watch this video. View...
  3. C

Great Gift item from the lathe - Wine Caddies - By Dick Sing

These wine caddies are great gift items and are fun to make. The simple function of them allows for a lot of creativity in their design and style. Dick Sing shows you how to turn them and shows you a variety of styling choices. View: https://youtu.be/hQPs4XEF1mE Cheers! Chris DeHut
  4. C

Turning oil lamps for unique gifts - by Dick Sing

These turned oil lamps make great gifts and lend themselves to a lot of creativity in design. Dick Sing demonstrated the process of making these lamps and provides some examples to spark your creativity. If you are looking for a new project, this is it! View: https://youtu.be/7CJPGaXrhZE...
  5. C

How to turn custom door pulls - by Dick Sing

One of the best ways to dress up a cabinet door or drawer is to put a custom pull on it. Dick Sing shows you the techniques and design ideas that will make your cabinets stand out and stand proud! Follow along in this video to learn the techniques to make the pulls. Presented by Dick Sing...
  6. C

Dick Sing, Using calipers on the wood lathe

Turning accurate or duplicate parts on the wood lathe can seem like a challenge, however, with the right tools and some good instruction, it is certainly achievable! In this video, Dick Sing shows how to use calipers on the wood lathe to get better, more accurate results. View...
  7. C

Dick Sing video: Turning a tool handle

In this video, Dick Sing presents the viewers with the techniques to make custom, handcrafted tool handles on the wood lathe. Don't be content with the standard handles if they don't feel just right, make your own and put your personality into those handles. View: https://youtu.be/Jj1VB6-O5Gg...
  8. C

Dick Sing video: Decorating with chatter work

Have you ever wanted to create a special and unique finish on your turned parts to make it stand out from the crowd? Take a look at this technique presented by Dick Sing. This technique, called chatter turning, uses what normally would be a bad problem (chatter) and turns it into a very...
  9. C

Dick Sing video: Learning to sharpen gouges

Learn How to Sharpen your Turning Gouges by Dick Sing is a GREAT tutorial. Every woodturner struggles to move beyond the basic scraper. If you want to get serious about being a good wood turner, watch this video. View: https://youtu.be/26VrFK60GgY Cheers! Chris DeHut
  10. C

Dick Sing video: Learning to turn with gouges

How to Turn with Gouges on the Wood Lathe by Dick Sing is a great tutorial. So many woodturners shy away from this tool and the skew, but fear it no more! Dick not only explains how you turn with it, but why and how the tool interacts with the workpiece as it is cutting. If you are a...
  11. C

Dick Sing video: Turned bottle brush and cap

Turned Bottle Brush and Cap for Finishing by Dick Sing is a great project for the wood lathe. As only Dick sing can do, he can take a very utilitarian piece and make it a a work of art. Upon completion of this project, you will have a great looking bottle and brush that is used to apply...
  12. C

Dick Sing video: Turning a Worry Stone

A Worry Stone? Learn what a worry stone is and how to make it! Dick Sing takes you through the process of turning a Worry Stone on the Wood lathe. Work holding is one of the challenges and as usual, Dick has a simple and elegant solution. Please subscribe to the channel, without subscribers...
  13. Spike Cornelius

Remounting really wet wood

Greetings and salutations from north Oregon, my question today is about a piece of mungo pine that I am turning. It was cut last month and is the first piece of wood that I have turned that was so wet that I could feel spray on my arm! The piece is 5 by 5 inches and I am getting close to the...
  14. C

Dick Sing video: Turn a bowl with a tile insert

Learn how to turn these wooden bowls that are further refined with a ceramic tile insert. Dick Sing shows you all the steps and techniques. These are great gift items for those special people in your life. Resurrected from the Woodworking At Home Magazine. For more information and detailed...
  15. C

Dick Sing video: Using a parting tool

In this presentation, Dick Sing shows you how to properly use parting tools on the wood lathe. You will learn how to use the tools and how to care for and sharpen them. Take a few minutes to watch this video for a great opportunity to learn from one of the best! View...
  16. C

Dick Sing video: Turn a ball

Learn how to turn a marble or ball on the wood lathe! World-renowned woodturner, Dick Sing walks you through the process step by step. This video originally appeared in Woodworking at Home Magazine in 2003. View: https://youtu.be/i26JqjsWJbE Chris D
  17. C

Dick Sing video: Turn a wooden pocketwatch holder

I used to produce a woodworking magazine in video format about 17 years ago. One of my contributors was Dick Sing for the turning segments. I have been reviving these videos and putting them up on my YouTube channel to share with everyone interested in turning and woodworking. I invite you to...
  18. Allen Mattsen

Bandsaw Advice / Priorities?

I'm currently struggling using a cheap, used WEN 10" bandsaw that, well, sucks. My primary reason for using a bandsaw is preparing green bowl blanks (and other turning stock - hollow forms, spindle, etc). I turn mainly on a 2436 lathe. I have a chainsaw. I don't plan on doing a lot of resawing...
  19. Rob Price

DIY Vortex Tool

I know Cindy Drozda has her vortex tool. I’ve seen Ashley Harwood sells one as well. It looks like round stock with a flat on one side and then ground to a point by putting a bevel under it. I’ve got an old 3/8” Benjamin best HSS gouge I’m not using. I’m thinking of grinding the tang into a...
  20. R

Shear scraping

A new video from me... View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeOhPqOsORs&lc=z23febrpiuz5yp5ubacdp43ak4fruiuom1zzk2tkj0hw03c010c robo hippy
Back