• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

wax

1. Butternut bowl with dye and wax

Butternut bowl with dye and wax

12 inch wide butternut (I'm pretty sure it's butternut, but I could be wrong) with embellishment with dye and gilding wax. Finished in Danish oil and carnauba wax.
  2. John Torchick

Finishing with wax?

I just watched a video about turning jar lid covers. SWMBO mentioned (for you military veterans, that is a direct order) making some for Christmas presents. I figure now is a good time to get started. The turner used carnuba wax. I don't have any but have Johnson's paste wax. Your thoughts...
  3. John Torchick

Preventive maintenance for my lathe

I'm sure this is nothing new to this group but wanted to share this for anyone taking time to clean up the shop. I have spent the last three days cleaning up the shop, organizing items in like function or use, and looking at what needs to be done next. My project this evening was to clean up...
  4. Miniature Ash 5321

Miniature Ash 5321

This ash piece is a bit of a departure for me, in that it's only about 2 inches tall. Was initially thinking of using it as a knob for a lid on a much larger container, but I decided otherwise. It lay around for awhile and I decided to hollow, sandblast, dye and wax it.
  5. Grandma's Vase 5319

Grandma's Vase 5319

This is a slightly different version of what I refer to as a "Grandma's Vase". My previous post 5318 was what I remembered the shape to be, while this one more represents what I feel the shape should be. Slightly longer curve to a slightly shorter neck. About 9 3/4 inches tall and...
  6. Off-Center Ash Bowl 5260

Off-Center Ash Bowl 5260

This ash bowl is a bit of a departure from the bleached series that I've recently posted. It is, however, a logical progression from one that I previously posted, 5245, with an off-center influence added. This bowl measures about 9 inches across. It has been gently sandblasted, dyed and treated...
  7. Beaded Ash Bowl 5245

Beaded Ash Bowl 5245

This is decorative beaded ash bowl which measures about 9 3/4 by 3 1/4. It has been beaded, and dyed and the outside treated with black patinating wax while the inside was painted flat black.
  8. Big Beads 5243

Big Beads 5243

This is an ash vase which measures 10 3/8 inches by 6 inches. It was beaded and then dyed yellow with aniline dye and treated with black patinating wax.
  9. Orange & Black & Beaded 5237

Orange & Black & Beaded 5237

This is another in what is beoming a series of beaded ash vessels. It was dyed with orange aniline dye and then treated with black patinating wax to accent the grain. It measures 10 1/2 inches tall by 6 inches in diameter.
  10. Yellow and Black Hollow Form 5231

Yellow and Black Hollow Form 5231

This is another in the series of fluted, sandblasted, dyed and waxed ash forms that I've been doing recently. This one, yellow with black patinating wax, measures 6 7/8 inches in diameter by 9 inches tall.
  11. Blue and White 5208

Blue and White 5208

This is the last (for a while) of the series of fluted, dyed and limed ash vessels that I have posted recently. It measures about 9 3/4 inches tall
Back